500mm w1/4 TC
ISO 250
1/800

All comments and critiques welcome.

Thank you for looking

Chris

Bill Nuttall
10-23-2016, 03:50 AM
a matter of taste Chris - but I think that I would try the image with the twig and greenery cloned out - particularly the "stake" as it looks "man made"

maybe up your shutter speed

colourful bird with amazing feet, TFS

Bill Dix
10-23-2016, 08:01 AM
Love the colors against the dark bg. If you were intending to go for flight shots, certainly you could have increased the ISO with that camera, and gotten a much higher SS. But I suspect you grabbed this when the bird suddenly flew, in which case you did nicely to get him at that SS, with the head and body pretty sharp. I don't mind the wing blur. I agree that the twig should be evicted if you're into that sort of thing, and maybe the greenery as well.

Isaac Grant
10-24-2016, 01:47 PM
Very nice take off pose and I like the dark background and down stroke on wings. Bird unfortunately is not sharp enough and as above the twig is distracting.

Robert Kimbrell
10-24-2016, 06:04 PM
A great looking bird, Great that you captured a good look at the feet. I like the position of the near wing, not ideal that the far wing merges the bill. I also find it lacking is sharpness.

Brian Desjardins
10-24-2016, 06:40 PM
Hi Chris, What a beautiful looking bird, nice details around the head and sharp, I don't mind the bit of motion in the wings, I agree with the low SS but I also have the tendency not to check before shooting, in all very nice shot. Ty for sharing.

Brian

Satish Ranadive
10-25-2016, 12:44 AM
Excellent take off of beautiful and colorful bird.

Regards,
Satish.

Chris Elliott
10-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all of the positive comments. Bill Dix, you are correct, in that, I was photographing this bird as he was deep in heavy cover. As he flew, I had no opportunity to change my settings as it was really just a quick hop from one dark pocket to another. I also want to thank everyone who recognized this situation and for accepting the motion blur in the lower half of the subject.

Chris

Michael Thompson
10-26-2016, 09:10 AM
Beautiful bird you got here! I don't mind the motion showing in the shot, the head and body are nice and sharp.