PDA

View Full Version : Giraffes

Bill Nuttall
10-21-2016, 01:58 PM
A Captive Shot as would have thought that these animals were introduced into the Game Reserve

I normally takes shots of birds!!!:S3:

so need help with shots like this

Western Cape - Nature Reserve - S Africa

Nikon V1 with kit 10 30mm lens
1/400th - f7.1 - ISO 200

almost 100% image

LR

Dumay de Boulle
10-21-2016, 02:54 PM
I like this one a lot and the B&W works really nicely...Very appealing to the eye!

Bill Nuttall
10-22-2016, 03:11 AM
I like this one a lot and the B&W works really nicely...Very appealing to the eye!

Thanks Dumay - I am a little clueless with images like this as 95% of the time I have a long lens in my hands

back to ZA mid Jan for two months so I am going to try to have a go with normal lens in a couple of Game Reserves and an Elephant Sanctuary

Again with B & W I need to figure out how to process them

Best wishes

haseeb badar
10-22-2016, 03:52 AM
Hi Bill -- Lovely to the whole scene , the conversion works for me but not sure abt those brighter areas on the giraffes , it appears a bit washed out . Have you by any chance did some dodging in that area ? And i am sure more details could be extracted from the sky/clouds .

TFS !

Rachel Hollander
10-22-2016, 06:42 AM
Hi Bill - Nice use of the wide angle lens and a pleasing overall scene. I agree with Haseeb's suggestions to tone down the bright parts of the giraffes and also to try to bring out more detail in the sky.

TFS,
Rachel

Giovanni Frescura
10-24-2016, 08:46 AM
The shot is fine and also composition ..I like it in b/n..but too much light in the middle. If you will try to have less could better

Bill Nuttall
10-24-2016, 09:41 AM
Thanks All for your comments and suggestions

Best I can do

small sensor camera - further work in LR

Stuart Philpott
10-24-2016, 11:14 AM
Hiya Bill,hope you are well mate. Bill this is lovely I really like your comp and even moreso your repost,it's way better thanthe original,as little as I know I wanted more depth to the coulds and the giraffes' highlights tones down a bit. Buddy would it be possible to pull back the brighter area ajoining the horizon in front of and too the left of the little bushes...running left from the rearmost giraffe. It feels to me that if there was just a bit more differential in tone from the horizon to the sky,then that may well add depth to your cracking capture. Naturally you know I could well be wrong as these are gut lead feelings not the voice of experience,but it's such a lovely shot from you and also not what I normally see,so I wanted to bang a bit of encouragement as well,as personally I feel you have done great here for something a bit left of your normand I'd love to see more from your future adventures.

Take care good stuff Bill ,I like this one:5

Stu

Bill Nuttall
10-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Hiya Bill,hope you are well mate. Bill this is lovely I really like your comp and even moreso your repost,it's way better thanthe original,as little as I know I wanted more depth to the coulds and the giraffes' highlights tones down a bit. Buddy would it be possible to pull back the brighter area ajoining the horizon in front of and too the left of the little bushes...running left from the rearmost giraffe. It feels to me that if there was just a bit more differential in tone from the horizon to the sky,then that may well add depth to your cracking capture. Naturally you know I could well be wrong as these are gut lead feelings not the voice of experience,but it's such a lovely shot from you and also not what I normally see,so I wanted to bang a bit of encouragement as well,as personally I feel you have done great here for something a bit left of your normand I'd love to see more from your future adventures.

Take care good stuff Bill ,I like this one:5

Stu

Hi Stu

always good to hear from you and receive your comments

your wish is my command

maybe a little better

Stuart Philpott
10-24-2016, 12:52 PM
Yes in front of the small bushes,but,Bill, can you take that out a little further left to those small bushes far left bang on the horizon which actually i'm seeing a change in in each edit. i'm envisaging just the faintest of horizon lines,which you might now see but me not. On my uncalibrated monitor this is obviously difficult to be completely objective about Bill,you are probably seeing way more than I. Let me throw that back to you has this improved the image for you Bill,I may well be miles off mate,but it's good for me to think hard on all this,even with my toolkit. But it is a lovely frame so worth having a go as it might just help you .
Oh mate apologies for my English last post !!
Take care

Stu