PDA

View Full Version : Theme Surf Scoter

Geoff Newhouse
10-19-2016, 05:17 PM
This was a Surf Scoter I found while kayaking on a lake near town. Usually these guys won't have anything to do with my kayak. However, this guy seemed to have flight problems as he just swam around and once did try to fly but ended up just running along the water. I left him alone after that and hope he made it out of the area before it freezes over in the next few weeks.

Handheld from kayak with Canon 1DX MkII, Canon 100-400II + 1.4TCIII at 560mm, f/8, 1/800, ISO200

Mike Hitchen
10-19-2016, 05:22 PM
I love these critters and this is an excellent shot. I find them so comical with their eyes look like they are in the wrong place and they do that half-flying thing like they are running on their wingtips. This has superb focus and a great vantage point (maybe I should take up kayaking). I think you were lucky to get so close but took full advantage. I wish I'd got this one.

Colin Driscoll
10-19-2016, 06:16 PM
What a ridiculous looking bird, even a bit maniacal. Well photographed but does look a bit jammed to the left. You are brave taking that gear in the kayak, not sure I would.

Isaac Grant
10-19-2016, 08:19 PM
Scoters on the west coast seem so much more tame than here in the east. I can't get within 300 feet of them without them flushing. On my only visit to Washington there were white-wings swimming directly under me while I was on a pier. Odd indeed. I think your details look really good. Exposure as well. I do find the bird to be a bit over saturated and it seems to have a magenta cast to it. Also I think the water could be toned down as well. Also think you just missed the shot as the bird is swimming away from you and looks like it already passed you by. Perhaps if you have one a few frames prior it would be at a better angle. If mine I would pull back a bit as it seems a bit tight in the frame.

Satish Ranadive
10-20-2016, 04:09 AM
Excellent image. Beautiful colors, blues of water and superb details and nice composition.

Regards,
Satish.

arash_hazeghi
10-20-2016, 03:07 PM
you got a beautiful subject and did well with the low angle, sharp with good details everywhere except for some of the blacks that look blocked and as noted overall a bit contrasty and over-saturated.

the birds needs more room around especially in the back and below. I also agree that the frame before this one would have been more ideal but I am OK with the angle as is

TFS

Daniel Cadieux
10-20-2016, 03:38 PM
Nice to see a close up view. Well exposed, sharp, and a head angle that saved the body angling away. Yes to the colours being over-saturated, and the subject a bit tight in the frame.

Geoff Newhouse
10-20-2016, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Here is a repost with a little more room added behind and below. More than this? Saturation was at +9 in LR. No other adjustments were done to Sat, Vibrance or Contrast/Clarity. This repost has Saturation at 0. Do you think it needs to be negative? I've never desaturated an image before. I find the colours to match the conditions. Usually this lake is emerald green so these conditions/shooting angle actually make the lake look less vibrant than other times.

Let me know your thoughts.