PDA

View Full Version : Theme Young fallow deer

Mike Poole
10-19-2016, 09:50 AM

Did the early morning trip down to Bradgate Park today to see if the rut was in full swing. Plenty of herding of the females but no full blown roaring.

We did however get a beautiful sunrise, so I tried a few backlit shots, and when this future warrior stopped by I had to fire a few frames off.

I'm always a bit uncertain how far to push backlit shots in PP, especially with regards to the blacks levels, but I think I got this fairly close to how the light was hitting the fields - it really was a fantastic light by Brit standards.

I took some magenta out of the main subject, but left a little in to try and keep things natural rather than a sterile neutral near white.

I also toyed with cloning the green strip out from the BG - that version did look better but maybe a touch too far from reality - maybe I should have cloned it and hoped I'd forget over time!

All opinions welcomed even more than usual with this one!

Canon 1dx
500mm f4is
ISO 2500
1/640th f4

Mike

Mike Poole
10-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Tried a second version with an extra curves adjustment, dragging the curve down around the 1/4 tones.

I think I should have waited a bit longer before posting the OP!

Mike

Dumay de Boulle
10-19-2016, 12:32 PM
amazing colors surrounding the Deer. I like the original tones and the backlighting is great.

Mike Hitchen
10-19-2016, 12:50 PM
Those autumn colours are wonderful.

This editing is a tricky one. The first photo shows off the bright colours of the deer, which after all is the main subject. The second intensifies the autumn colours but mutes the brightness that you associate with young animals - it also enhances the orange reflection from the foliage under its neck a bit too much for my liking.
Having them next to each other, I just about prefer the first one.

haseeb badar
10-19-2016, 12:59 PM
Hi Mike -- I love to see and capture images with backlighting , which is well showcased here . Liked the golden hues as well . I will go with the second version as finer details are much more visible than the OP. I really liked this one .

TFS !

Rachel Hollander
10-20-2016, 07:29 AM
Hi Mike - Gorgeous fall colors illuminated by the backlighting. Interesting how light the fallow deer is in color. I think I prefer the richness of the tones in the rp. You maintained good detail as well.

TFS,
Rachel

Bill Nuttall
10-20-2016, 07:32 AM
top shot Mike - #1 for me - I wouldn't push too much orange into it

Mike Poole
10-21-2016, 08:00 AM
Thanks for your comments everyone, looks like a split decision - maybe something in between.

Mike

Stuart Philpott
10-23-2016, 01:19 AM
Ello buddy,you didn't tell me about this guy,what a splendid little pricket.

Mike,are there many this pale in your herd at Bradgate,we seems to not get these in our little lot. The rut has kicked in here this week, but the woods were utterly silent last weekend we are off in a mo to try and find some bucks. This is stunning Mike,we too have had some gorgeous early morn light here,though I sadly am seeing it mostly going to graft and have as of yet been unable to be with our fallow and the morning magic,although though odd eve has been lovely.

Mike I much prefer your repost,I adore backlit but struggle as well fine lines aren't they. The edit for me enhances the rim light and gives more tonal dimension to the youngster. But maybe the colours are a bit too saturated? That was my gut reaction Mike before reading through the good folks comments.
I love his head position Mike it looks like he's caught your sent. the green line which I guess is a footpath doesn't bother me at all mate.

All in all an utter please to view mate, especially for me ,very inspiring too on a subject we have spent so much time trying to learn about especially these last few weeks Thanks for sharing this in particular Mike

take care

Stu