PDA

View Full Version : Theme Common Loon

Geoff Newhouse
10-17-2016, 08:21 PM
This may not technically be black enough to qualify for the theme but I saw at least one other loon posted so here it is. I was able to pull out a lot of the colour from the blacks in this lighting. Editing was in LR with adjustments to highlights and shadows and sharpening with small saturation boost. No NR. Feel free to disqualify this one!!

This one was actually from shore even though most of my loon shooting is usually from kayak. This was with Canon 5DSR, Canon 600 f/4 IS II at f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO 400

gail bisson
10-18-2016, 06:16 AM
Very nice Geoff,
You have exposed perfectly for the whites and the blacks.And the greens on the neck look perfect.
The low POV is excellent as well.
I would be tempted to clone out the little ? stick/debris" on the birds LHS at water level,
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
10-18-2016, 11:14 AM
A bit tight in the frame IMO, but spot on exposure and details. Great colours on the neck too.

Stu Bowie
10-18-2016, 01:48 PM
Hi Geoff, love the low perspective, and well done on the overall exposure. Ive never seen a Loon in real life, as we dont get them here in SA, but Ive seen enough on this forum to know that you have brought out the colours on the head and neck so well.

Bill Nuttall
10-18-2016, 01:51 PM
Stunning - perfect colours and technically sharpe - maybe the DOF area at the rear is a little distracting, but hardly

Wonderful

Eric Dienesch
10-18-2016, 03:25 PM
Very nice!
i have never seen this species.. so i am glad to see such a good picture here from you !!

Geoff Newhouse
10-18-2016, 06:32 PM
A bit tight in the frame IMO, but spot on exposure and details. Great colours on the neck too.

I opened up the crop a bit. I have more room than this. Let me know what you think about this framing.