View Full Version : Azure Damselfly

Bill Nuttall
10-17-2016, 05:21 AM
Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella) - a male

SW France - Local stream - slow running

Nikon V1 + 300mm f4 AFS
ISO 400 - 1/400th sec - f8
small tripod

(bg NR - but I find that ISO 400 is max for noise with shots like this using a Nikon V1 .. so it's still noticeable)

Full V1 image - not cropped - the V1 sensor is 28% of the D810 FF sensor

LR ...... but bg along bottom and bottom RHS could do with a little work in PS

Steve Maxson
10-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Very nice head-to-tail sharpness on your subject and I also like the light and diagonal comp! The background is pleasingly clean, but with some noise (not bad) - as you note above. You might try another round of NR to smooth that out more. If mine, I would be tempted to crop a little off the right side - and that would also remove the brighter area in the LRC. Overall, this is very nicely done!

Jonathan Ashton
10-22-2016, 06:14 PM
The damselfly is beautifully captured, noise in the background is pretty insignificant to my eye (I think some slight texture is beneficial), I would be tempted to add a little canvas to the base and shave a little off the roght.

Jerry van Dijk
10-23-2016, 01:58 PM
Very nice composition with the two diagonals. I like that there is just enough dof on the perch to see what it is, but not so much that it distracts from the main subject. The saturated greens from the BG very nicely complement the blue of the damselfly.

Brian Desjardins
10-25-2016, 08:00 AM
Hey Bill, Very nice shot , love the colors, nice and sharp, BG is a perfect fit, thanks for sharing

Brian