PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Thicknee

Stu Bowie
10-16-2016, 01:52 PM
When I walk my two dogs, I am fortunate that we walk in a large area of grassland, and there are various birds that frequent the area. On this particular afternoon, I took my camera, and I decided to try my hand at these Thicknee's, as they are fairly skittish, and with two dogs running around doesnt help much either. I followed this Thicknee a while, until he walked into more of an open area, and this was my result. Taken late afternoon.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8 +1.4 TC = 420mm
1/3200
F/6.3
ISO 500

Manual Exposure.

Bill Nuttall
10-16-2016, 02:04 PM
Love these birds, same Family, (Burhinidae) as the Stone Curlew that is a migrant into the UK/Europe

and the Water thick-knee that I see in S Africa

Lovely natural shot Stu which I really like ........ all with an alternate amusing name of Dikkop

Mike Poole
10-16-2016, 02:07 PM
A good look at this bird in its natural environment. Classic head angle and the details look spot on. In an ideal world I'd have preferred the far leg not to be lost in the shadow and then going behind the right leg - do you have another frame with a different walking pose?

Mike

Stu Bowie
10-16-2016, 02:13 PM
do you have another frame with a different walking pose?

Mike

Thanks Mike. I do have quite a few images of these guys in various poses, and will dig one out. Ive been thinking of popping down to this area and capture newer images, as this location is literally around the corner from my house. :w3

Rachel Hollander
10-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Hi Stu - I didn't know Banjo and Axel let you go for a walk without them:bg3:. Nice low pov and colors. Sharpness and detail look good too. Nice one overall.

TFS,
Rachel

keith mitchell
10-17-2016, 03:06 AM
Nice watchful pose showing those yellow eyes that make this bird for me ,lots of detail on the bird which sits very well on that BG.Nice work Stu.

Keith.

Stu Bowie
10-17-2016, 11:40 AM
Thanks a stack for the feedback everyone.

gail bisson
10-17-2016, 05:43 PM
Love the light.
I am the only one to say this but I feel the image should be rotated a bit clockwise.
I would love to see a frame with the foot visible.

Satish Ranadive
10-18-2016, 01:52 AM
Excellent image, Stuart Sir.
Very nice pose, beautiful color scheme, nice environment a with grass and beautiful composition.

Regards,
Satish.