PDA

View Full Version : Springbok

Bill Nuttall
10-16-2016, 10:18 AM
Springbok (Antidorcas marsupialis) - now this guy was a bit of a "star" on a Game Reserve that we stayed on in the Little Karoo in S Africa in March

A Captive shot as I think that these animal were introduced into the Game Reserve

he was free to come and go and was part of maybe half a dozen Springboks that were near the Lake facing the accommodation area ...... this guy was named "Bokie" and up to a point was quite tame, the others weren't at all ..... if you approached him he would put his head down and "rut" against your leg .... he was a strong chap ........ but he had a weakness "apples" - so as long as you had one your were his friend.

It looks as if his horns had been trimmed???? ...... so maybe he was reared by humans early on???

40% crop
HH - D750 + 300mm f4 PF
ISO 1250 - f8 - 1/640th
LR

I'm OK with him not looking at the camera
I could remove the fly from his noise

Mike Poole
10-16-2016, 02:48 PM
Good details in this one Bill, but with a couple of adjustments I think it could have been stronger.

In the field I would have tried to have got a little bit lower, maybe being level with the lower jaw, giving you a slightly upwards shooting angle.

When it comes to PP a bit more space below would have been nice, and maybe boosting the blacks a bit will be beneficial.

Mike.

haseeb badar
10-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Hi Bill -- Nice details and sharpness , with a lovely clean BG and the fly doesn't bother a bit ! I too feel it is quite tight especially at the bottom . Blacks i feel are on the borderline of being thin but i am ok with it .

TFS !

Rachel Hollander
10-17-2016, 09:23 PM
Hi Bill - Good suggestions above particularly about getting lower. I find the greens to be a bit bright and competing with the subject for my attention. If it were mine I would darken them and I would also reduce the blues in the whites. This rp is going a bit further than needed with the greens but I wanted t make the change obvious.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
10-18-2016, 10:17 AM
A nice clean image here Bill, with the 300PF shining through :w3, agree on non fly removal, and as this was a 40% crop you could have left more all round and a 4;6 crop ratio as well perhaps.

I like Rachels RP, but would like a tad more saturation, something between the two.

TFS

Morkel Erasmus
10-19-2016, 07:10 AM
Nice portrait of our national animal, Bill.
Good suggestions above, and I agree I would like to see something between your OP and Rachel's RP. I also agree that you could loosen the crop a tad.