PDA

View Full Version : Theme Last in's a rotten egg!!

Marc Mol
10-16-2016, 09:50 AM
I was watching a herd of eles ambling along to a large waterhole to drink and mud roll, and scrambling out in front were a few youngsters that wanted to be the first to get there, just like a bunch of school kids!

I love the excitable flapping ears. :bg3:

Nikon D4s Nikkor 80-400 AF-S 1/10s f/22 ISO100@ 400mm. 30% crop, H/H- front pax seat, curves, levels, TK adj's in ACR & PS CC.

Sabie Sands GR- RSA

Cheers
Marc

Rachel Hollander
10-16-2016, 03:01 PM
Hi Marc - I do like the ear position and the trunk. I have been having my own internal struggle to determine what works in a panning shot and whether it needs at least some part (ideally the head) that is more in focus to work. I shot quite a few panning images on my recent trip and am still undecided. On this one though I find the sort of ghosting effect to be a bit distracting. Let's see what others say.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
10-16-2016, 03:12 PM
Many thanks Rachel

On this one though I find the sort of ghosting effect to be a bit distracting. Rachel

Elephants and there (generally) slow running speed are one of the hardest subjects for slow panning IMO, so to capture that slow movement an even slower S/S such as I used here of 1/10s (as opposed to the usual +1/25s) is required which more often than not results in a streaking/ghosting effect to one degree or another. Sometimes the ghosting/streak effect is a little less subtle, than the above and agreed I could only wish it wasn't so "harsh" with this version. :e3

If I may indulge with a softer ghost effect here, same day, different ele also @1/10s. :w3

Plus, as you know it often takes dozens, if not 100's to get 1 that you're happy with and it's fun to try when you have harsh midday lighting.

Rachel Hollander
10-16-2016, 03:15 PM
Yeah Marc, I don't think I tried it on any elephants. Never saw them really running.:w3

Morkel Erasmus
10-16-2016, 06:17 PM
Cool energy in this one Marc.
I find myself being more and more open to panning/slow SS shots that have very little "key sharp" areas, and as such I enjoy this one.
I would play with a high key high contrast B&W though?

PS: I quite like the 2nd one too!

Marc Mol
10-17-2016, 01:01 AM
Many thanks Morkel

I would play with a high key high contrast B&W though?

I did play around with a B&W- HK concept but found the darker BG patches didn't suit.

Bill Nuttall
10-17-2016, 10:46 AM
This is a good theme to continue with

Certainly inspired me to have a go the next time I see the opportunity

I find B & W images can add to the dram of Elephants

haseeb badar
10-17-2016, 04:06 PM
Hi Marc -- I like those ears in the image , i too am not sure whether it works or not but the second one is somewhat more exciting and appears more interesting . Panning certainly is a tough deal .

TFS !

Mike Hitchen
10-18-2016, 10:28 AM
I wish I sometimes took the time to stand back and think of things like this. The effect is one of real energy.

Jonathan Ashton
10-19-2016, 05:39 AM
Marc in short I like both images. When I first saw the first I thought perhaps just a little too much blurring. I looked at the second and liked it. I went back to the first and the more I look the more I like it.