PDA

View Full Version : Theme Common Loon

gail bisson
10-15-2016, 07:16 AM
This loon surfaced just inches away from our boat. This image is almost full frame.
Canon 1DX 600mm
SS 1/2500 F8.0 ISO 800
PP: Crop for comp, raised exposure by 0.5, usual LR sliders then off to CS 5 for levels adjustment, NR to BG and USM to JPEG
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

Bill Nuttall
10-15-2016, 10:20 AM
Lovely image Gail - just so sharpe and the detail is great ....... I can never get blacks anywhere near as good as that

"Looney" - maybe the word came from the bird as apparently it has a strange cry

Graham Wilkes
10-15-2016, 11:55 AM
Beautiful close up Gail, so sharp with fine detail in the subtle dark colours and a great eye.
I also like the white banding and its reflection and the open mouth.
Good work.

Graham.

Bill Dix
10-15-2016, 12:36 PM
I'm impressed by both your strength and your reflexes, if you were able to swing that 600 around and get this guy as he surfaced. I'm sure he didn't stay there long, once he realized where he had come up. Love the hint of green iridescence on the head, and the richness of the blacks and the green water. Nicely captured.

Tim Foltz
10-15-2016, 04:45 PM
Gail, nice pose in breeding plumage, blacks are spot on and image is sharp.
We get these loons here in the winter but always in their drab plumage.

-Tim

Stu Bowie
10-16-2016, 02:01 PM
Hi Gail, tack, tack sharp, and something different for a Loon image. Exposure spot on, as the green sheen shows up so well, and just love that eye. Just a personal thing, but I would take a bit off the bottom to just above the lower white part of the reflection.

Daniel Cadieux
10-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Fantastic details, and that eye is just wow! I love the water, especially below the bill and right towards the edge. I'm the opposite of Stu and would take a bit off the top - funny how subjective composition is eh! If mine I'd likely remove the very lowest white reflection that is touching the frame...and I do wish this was mine!

Isaac Grant
10-16-2016, 09:49 PM
Perfect image Gail. I stared at this for a while and then came back to it again because it is so nice. I even showed my wife and some company that we had over and every was blown away. Details are amazing. Image quality is to die for. The open mouth and head coming out of the water are so good. Like Daniel, I would love to have taken a shot like this. In New York City we only get loons in the late fall, winter and early spring. They leave just as they are starting to get their spiffy breeding plumage. Typically they stay over the ocean and rarely if ever allow close approach. For that reason I am even more envious.:cheers:

arash_hazeghi
10-17-2016, 01:47 AM
very nice Gail, love the head posing out! I am with Dan re the white reflections