PDA

View Full Version : Low Light Spruce Grouse.

Daniel Cadieux
10-12-2016, 08:11 PM
This female Spruce Grouse was photographed in Algonquin Park early in the morning while the light was still dim. Removing the TC to gain a stop of light, and raising the ISO, I moved in closer for some intimate portraits of her as she raised her head once in a while as she fed by the side of the road. Lying flat with elbows to the ground (on the pavement actually) permitted a bit more support to steady the rig. Most of the images were standard profile, but here when she turned her body towards me I like the 3D effect it gave with the sharp head against the oof body.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/80s., f/4, ISO 3200, natural light, handheld, NR to the BG and parts of the body.

keith mitchell
10-13-2016, 10:40 AM
Hi Dan,lovely sharp detail where it matters ,as you say the head looks good against the oof body but would like to see it with a tighter crop and loosing some of the body,just my personal choice of course.

Keith.

William Dickson
10-13-2016, 12:37 PM
It's poppin out the page :S3: Looks almost 3D on my monitor. Love the contrast and head detail. Nice eye contact

Will

Isaac Grant
10-13-2016, 04:27 PM
I like the 3d look very much. Not so sure about the crop but the IQ looks amazing for ISO 3200. What is your secret? I'd love to learn as I am always extremely hesitant to go above ISO 800 on my 7d2.

Daniel Cadieux
10-15-2016, 10:52 AM
Thanks! Isaac, no big secret except to ETTR, make sure the file is tack sharp, and apply some NR to the smooth areas if needed.