PDA

View Full Version : Southern Fiscal

Bill Nuttall
10-12-2016, 01:01 PM
Southern Fiscal (Lanius collaris) - a Shrike - a Juvenile - the adults are Black and White, with the female having a slightly rufous flank

Wilderness S Africa - at the side of a dirt track road - HH from the car

D7200 + 300 f4 PF + 1,4TC - 1/1250th - f8 - ISO 450 - good light

Processed in LR

16% crop of 6 x 4 image

In this shot as with many I really like how the Shrike finds a complementary (colours) perch

David Salem
10-12-2016, 03:47 PM
I like the nice look-back pose and the varied BG colors. Nice looking species of shrike that I have never seen before.
Hope you don't mind me messing with your image :)
I don't think the big branch on the left adds to the image so I removed it along with the top of the image that wasn't working as well. I also used the burn tool in PS to reduce the highlights on the branch in a few spots.
A little levels adjustment and a little more sharpening was done also although the comp that I chose is pushing the IQ so you will have better luck with the RAW file.
Well done

Bill Nuttall
10-12-2016, 03:55 PM
I like the nice look-back pose and the varied BG colors. Nice looking species of shrike that I have never seen before.
Hope you don't mind me messing with your image :)
I don't think the big branch on the left adds to the image so I removed it along with the top of the image that wasn't working as well. I also used the burn tool in PS to reduce the highlights on the branch in a few spots.
A little levels adjustment and a little more sharpening was done also although the comp that I chose is pushing the IQ so you will have better luck with the RAW file.
Well done

Thanks David, comments and adjustments really appreciated

Daniel Cadieux
10-12-2016, 05:43 PM
Yep, the repost is what would have been ideal, but without the cropping...getting closer to the subject, if possible, which I know can be tricky!! Good pose and a background (especially on the repost).

keith mitchell
10-13-2016, 07:49 AM
Hi Bill,this is nice and I think David's repost removing that branch improves it,nice pose and a good Bg.
Sorry to interrogate but what sort of distance from the bird when you took the shot?just that I might just be interested in having that lens.

Keith.

Bill Nuttall
10-13-2016, 08:08 AM
Hi Bill,this is nice and I think David's repost removing that branch improves it,nice pose and a good Bg.
Sorry to interrogate but what sort of distance from the bird when you took the shot?just that I might just be interested in having that lens.

Keith.

Hi Keith, I wasn't that near as I really don't do hides, (blinds?), as it was a just a drive out - the software that I have won't tell me the distance - all I can offer you is the full image - I saw the bird on the post, I was on a dirt track on the left hand side - the bird was over in a field on the right on a burn't stump which I felt really contrasted exactly with the birds colours

It is good lens in many ways

William Dickson
10-13-2016, 12:42 PM
Very nice Bill. Love the pose and HA, great looking colours throughout. I like both your crop and Davids. Nice perch

Will