Bill Nuttall
10-11-2016, 04:56 AM
Newbie on here seeking critique on my shots:S3:

"Whiteline" - "Whitelink"

D750 + 300 f4 PF + 1,7TC - ISO 2200 - f8 - 1/1000th sec

processing in LR

Grady Weed
10-14-2016, 09:08 AM
Bill, Images such as this are hard to critique. First for the pluses; it is sharp, the ferry is clearly defined and the background is nicely subdued. now for the improvements or my opinion. The ferry is close to the background image. It would make for a better image for the ferry to be more separated from the bg. The ferry seems to be the focus here. It is almost centered. Perhaps cropping off some from the right so the ferry seems to be entering the scene. It could also stand to be a bit larger in frame so as to grab the eye more. Just a few thoughts.

Don Railton
10-18-2016, 11:09 PM
Hi Bill

I agree with Grady here.. I would crop to place the ferry lower rh third(ish), remove some of the sky & FG to make it more of a pano format and i would push up the local contrast slightly on the ferry so it jumped out of the grey a little more..

DON

Morkel Erasmus
10-19-2016, 03:01 PM
I'm liking the layers and the moody light here, Bill.
Grady's suggestion resonates with me on cropping from the RHS a bit, I'd also shave some empty space off the top to get an evenly spaced layer selection...

Bill Nuttall
10-23-2016, 06:01 AM
Thanks guys - I need to sort this out in my own mind and have a look at other shots that I took to see if I have a better composition

The shots was taken from a Cross (English) Channel Ferry

Andrew McLachlan
10-23-2016, 08:49 PM
I agree with the previous suggestions...looking forward to seeing if you have any alternate compositions and future landscapes too :)

Grady Weed
11-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Bill, keep on clicking! Never give up and never surrender. TFS.