PDA

View Full Version : Damsel

David Chauvin
06-14-2008, 10:08 AM
From this morning,,,,,,Down in the dew covered grass with a damsel.

30D, Sigma 180, 1.4x, 1/160 sec, f7.1, iso 100, full frame

David
South Louisiana

Nonda Surratt
06-14-2008, 11:04 AM
I like it!!!! Quite the other worldly feel to it!!!!

Now this is nuts, the one highlight mid left kinda bugs me and I think because it is cut different than the others that are more geometric? Doesn't seem to quite fit if that makes a lick of sense.

Alfred Forns
06-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Sweet delicate image !!! Outstanding feel !!! The one spot that draws my attention is the one at the very center, both from being centered and its density. Not sure if this is the one Nonda is seeing?

Big Congrats on this one it is one fine image!!!!!

Bill Whitney
06-14-2008, 02:41 PM
David....I like it. The diagonal lines of the grass makes for a nice comp. Love the backlighting. The drops on the grass and the damsel are wonderful. Image certainly has a wet morning feel to it. Hope you both dried out ok.:D

Julie Kenward
06-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I love your compo and lighting; would love to see just a touch more contrast to really set each element off a bit more. It's a lovely image as is, though!

John Cooper
06-15-2008, 05:16 AM
Hi David - I love this back-lit damsel and the perch supporting it. Its one of my favourite lighting techniques but I find the bright spots a bit distracting.

Robert O'Toole
06-15-2008, 08:08 AM
I like the image David, this is a classic OOF disc backlit close up image. Well done.

Did you use a reflector or flash? The D-fly looks perfectly front lit with a rim light.

Robert

Gus Cobos
06-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Congratulations, I like your image and composition. I like the details and soft colors in your background...:cool:

David Chauvin
06-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

As is typical, the placement of the highlights was sort of a crap shoot and trade offs were made. Using the DOF preview helps to see where they will be. I shoot using a tripod and setting up just right in the deep grass is a challenge. Oddly enough, the one high light that bothers me the most was not mentioned. :D

Robert,,,,,,I often use reflectors, but not this time. Luminosity masks were used to balance the exposure and then a bit of lightening on the eye and body were painted in using a soft light layer mask. This works nicely because it doesn't effect the color like the dodge/burn tools.

Fabs Forns
06-15-2008, 02:35 PM
The Damsel is sweet but it is the specular highlights that make this special to me. Love it!!!

Kaushik Balakumar
06-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Excellent take. Very nice feel to this image.