PDA

View Full Version : Galapagos

Amy DeStefanis
06-14-2008, 10:04 AM
From our recent trip to the Galapagos Islands. Our primary goal for this trip was diving (underwater photos to be posted elsewhere). But there were a few land tours. Unfortunately, the trip to see the Blue-Footed boobies and marine iguanas took place at around 2:30 - harsh for the light, but the birds did not disappoint as they did their courtship dance and "sky-pointing" display.

Alfred Forns
06-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for this one Amy !! One of my favorites !!! Special birds !!

btw do post the UW at the wildlife forum !! I planed several trips out there but never made it !!

Amy DeStefanis
06-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi Alfred,

I am working on getting the Underwater stuff "processed". Having some Workflow tool issues since I switched to Mac. Having to learn some new tricks. I have a few to post, however.

If you get the chance to go to Galapagos, it is worth it. We were there 4 years ago about 3 weeks earlier in the season. The water temperatures this year about 7-10 degrees above normal, and the blue-footed boobies are just beginning to lay their eggs. Last time, they already had chicks in the nest (can post some photos from then, too....).

Amy

Alfred Forns
06-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Hi Amy Let me know if you need any Mac help Glad to help out

btw on both of the Galapagos trip I ended up going to the Pacific, it was either/or !!!!

Amy DeStefanis
06-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your offer of help with Mac, Alfred. I will take you up on it. I downloaded Lightroom's trial. But I still need something that will allow me to edit the in-camera shooting info the way I can in Capture NX. It's not supported for Mac. Though I can use the tool on Mac - some features aren't available. Any ideas there?

I stupidly purchased the full Mac version of Photoshop CS3, and then realized that I could have saved $ if I'd bought Lightroom at the same time... But I wasn't sure about Lightroom yet, and still thought I could make NX work for me.

Meanwhile, I didn't understand your last post about the Pacific....? You mean you went to the South Pacific? :)

Here's another view of the blue-footed cuties doing their dance:

Amy

Alfred Forns
06-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes made a bunch of dive trips to the Pacific. Would start looking at Galapagos and end up in the Pacific or Red Sea.

Will PM some info on editing after I catch up with the PMs !!!

Gus Cobos
06-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Very cool looking birds. Love the feet...:cool:

Robert Amoruso
06-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Cool display.

Amy DeStefanis
06-19-2008, 07:08 PM
I finally figured out how to put my pictures out on my .Mac website. There are birds and underwater critters here - I haven't had time to look up identifications on everything. (The baby bird is one of the Petrels flying off the cliffs on the island, if anyone has more info, feel free....) The conditions at Wolf and Darwin were harrowing - very strong currents that made it very difficult to even bring the camera to my face, much less swim freely - we were hanging onto the volcanic reef to avoid being swept away... Those of us with cameras had only one hand to hang on with.... The Hammerheads were schooling in the dozens (I counted 45 in one counting - not including the legions continuing to arrive, and those shadows in the distance), but the currents were so strong, I was glad to just get something in the viewfinder without losing my grip.

Hope you enjoy the pictures:

http://web.mac.com/adestefa/GalapagosWeb2008

Amy D.

Dave Hutchinson
06-29-2008, 08:27 AM
I recently returned from a 9 day trip to the Galapagos. It is the most preserved place that we have ever been to. Incredible. You can see my photos at my site: -Dave-

www.CrazyAboutTravel.com (http://www.CrazyAboutTravel.com)

Amy DeStefanis
07-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks for sharing your pictures of Galapagos too! The land tours evidently cover different ground. We didn't see the tortoises in their natural habitat - just at the Darwin Research Station. I think they treat dive operations differently. When we went in 2004, we could snorkel with the Penguins at Pennacle Rock. But now, only non-dive tours can offer that. One of the guys on our boat wanted to go out to Tortuga Beach instead of going to the Darwin Center since he'd been there already before. We had been there before too, but wanted to get the pictures of the tortoises, and this was our only opportunity. But the beach and trail look lovely in your pictures. Maybe next time (yes, we'll go again!).

I think I have a shot of the same lava cactus! And you got some good ones of the frigate birds flying with their throats in full display!

It appears we might have been there at the same time. June 4 - 12???