PDA

View Full Version : Theme An ageing buffalo

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-03-2016, 11:00 PM
A portrait of an AB amidst golden grass at Ruaha NP, TZ. He seems to be fairly old with signs of wear and tear showing on his horns. Thought this would fit the theme nicely.
7D II
100-400 II @ 241mm
1/1600
f/6.3
ISO 800

haseeb badar
10-04-2016, 12:28 AM
Hi Sanjeev -- What a coincidence, I also posted the same specie but one in a prime condition .

I liked the light and and its shimmering snout , techs looks good to me .

Blacks look a bit strong too me though .

TFS !

Steve Kaluski
10-04-2016, 05:36 AM
Hi Sanjeev, good call on both of you posting the same species, I really don't think there is an issue, nor are you 'competing', however I like the fact one can compare, albeit totally different/likewise the habitat & pose. :S3:

Like the light here and the blacks albeit dark, reflect the time of day I think. Good to see a better SS here Sanjeev, but I might have gone to f/9 just for a bit more DoF for the horns. Are the FP's on his nose or between the eye, can you check in DPP please. Be great if you can always remember to add FF, cropped etc, as it does help, as I feel the subject is slipping out of frame and therefore perhaps moving the crop down would help, if there is enough content?

If you have time, convert to B/W with a slight hint of warmth to the B/W maybe another option, or perhaps a Tritone, as the image might be two contrasty when converted to a straight B/W?

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-04-2016, 06:26 AM
Hi Sanjeev - He looks a bit grumpy. Nice light and good angle of light as well. I like the detail in the boss and think the blacks look ok. Techs look good to me. Only thing I might do is a slight amount of cw rotation to level the eyes.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
10-04-2016, 02:51 PM
Hi Sanjeev this old boy got hit by some stunning light , well captured by you .
I like the colors / tones and the blacks do look totally ok to me , well done in getting all the details in HL and shadows . I do also like the way the buff is framed by the grasses and foliage in the FG , and you have still a good distance to the soft BG , not looking to busy to me and a good separation between subject and BG .
The eyes do look stunning to me , many times a " problem zone with those buffs .
Nice work Doc :cheers: and TFS Andreas

Marc Mol
10-04-2016, 03:15 PM
A typical grumpy pose here from this boy Sanjeev, good detail and techs overall in a typical dry season Ruaha habitat, will be returning here very soon.:w3

TFS

Morkel Erasmus
10-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Nice one - good exposure in these conditions. Could make a nice B&W too with these colour contrasts.
Rachel has a good point on rotating somewhat to level the eyes, Doc?