PDA

View Full Version : Redwing

Geoffrey Montagu
10-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Found this Redwing early one morning on the shore of Lake Myvatn, Iceland this past July. Perched on a pockmarked lava rock overlooking the lake, this Redwing was enjoying the easy pickings of an endless supply of flying insects. C&C welcome.

D4S, Nikon 500mm + 1.4 TC, 1/2500s, f 5.6, ISO 2500, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

Stu Bowie
10-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Hi Geoff, The Redwing is certainly getting his beak full of insects - great behavioural shot. Interesting finish to the lava rock with all the markings. I would run some NR on the BG.

Geoffrey Montagu
10-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Hi Geoff, The Redwing is certainly getting his beak full of insects - great behavioural shot. Interesting finish to the lava rock with all the markings. I would run some NR on the BG.

Thanks Stu. I had run NR, but it does seem to need a bit more after the initial post. Here's a repost.

Geoffrey

Graham Wilkes
10-03-2016, 02:34 PM
As already said, lovely Redwing shot, feeding while the goings good, I also like the lava rock, maybe taking out the rock triangle on the right gives more focus to the bird, but that's just me.
A head turn would have been nice, but they often don't do it.

Graham.

Bill Dix
10-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Good one, Geoffrey. Quite a mouthful. The repost helps. Myvatn means "Midge Lake" in Icelandic, and this really shows why. (Those are not dust bunnies in the BG, folks.) It reminds me of the busload of tourists we saw just down the road from here; every one of them was sporting a full protective headnet as they got off their bus.

Geoffrey Montagu
10-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Thanks Stu, Graham, and Bill. Thanks also Bill for how the lake gets its name. It's also a shallow eutrophic lake.

Geoffrey