PDA

View Full Version : Theme Indian Rhino sparring

Andreas Liedmann
09-30-2016, 09:40 AM
Hi folks my last contribution to this month theme ... no wonder month is ready to go .
I share a seldom sighting for me even if i have seen a lot of the Rhinos , during two trips i made .Two subadults has been play fighting in the grassland area of Assam .
The action took place during an Elephant safari i made one morning , i got lucky and came just to this event happening . It was a quick one ... started fighting and stopped after a minute .
Very difficult to shoot as they move quite quickly ... but you as the viewer cannot move :t3 as the elephant does not care what the rhinos are doing , as long as they do not attack them .
I wanted to tell the mahout to turn the elephant , for a better shooting angle , as i was too close for the shots i wanted to get . Well in my mind , but my mind is faster than i with the fiddling of the gear on the very very limited space to maneuver on the elephant .
Therefor i have to be happy with the endgame .

Canon EOS 1Dx
Ef 200-400 IS L at 220 mm
HH from rocking elephant back

F 6,3 ; Iso 4000 ; 1/ 1600 sec ; man exp

Processed with DPP 4.5 and PS CC; cropped for comp from all sides , apart from the bottom , i wished for more space all around in the original capture . But as there is not enough , i had to crop to get something pleasing . I also wish i had a lower POV , but from elephant back at short distance ...:w3... no chance .

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting .

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
09-30-2016, 11:12 AM
Andreas, can you RP as above, but more below please???

Andreas Liedmann
09-30-2016, 12:04 PM
Sorry Steve i think you got me wrong , or i said it wrong .
Bottom is as shot sadly :e3 , cropped from all three other sides . i really wish i had more room at the foot

Cheers Andreas

haseeb badar
09-30-2016, 12:16 PM
Hi Andreas -- As far as i have the experience of elephant rides ,One gets to see both sides of photographing from the back of the elephant , special moments but real challenging circumstances . I think you have done a wonderful job with this one ! Very difficult it is to shoot from the elephant back , it continuously moves and causes great difficulty in stabilising .

I really liked the moment and the details that you have got here . Nice IQ as well . I can certainly live with that cramped bottom area of the frame as far as it is taken from the elephant back .

TFS !

Gabriela Plesea
09-30-2016, 03:29 PM
Hello my Lietchi Boetie,

Been out of touch for a while but I will drop you a reply to your email now now:w3

Amazing capture and so much expression from both protagonists, one with a submissive and fearful look and the other a bit on the agro side!

You have captured such wonderful interaction, Andreas. Indeed, a pity about the less than perfect framing. But you were quite dependent on the elephant who gave you a ride, so not much of a choice I guess?

Superb colours and tonality, as well as detail. Love those skin folds. I have never witnessed interaction between rhino so this is really super special to me.

Just a question: considering the quality of this frame, have you thought of the possibility of a very close crop?

Really enjoyed viewing, my Boetie - think you for sharing. Feels as if I could stretch out my hand and put a stop to the fight between those two boys:tinysmile_shy_t:. And did I mention your wonderful PP work:)

Warmest regards,

Rachel Hollander
09-30-2016, 08:21 PM
Hi Andreas - Fully understand the difficulties of shooting from an elephant but think you did very well here. Yes, I agree with you own critique especially about the space but really like the textures and the action that you captured.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Space below aside, I really like the clarity and colour contrast here (they leap off the screen against that green backdrop).
Good sharpness where it matters!

Andreas Liedmann
10-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Thanks Gabriela for your always very warm wording .... in your comments .Much appreciated .
Thanks also to Morkel and Rachel , much appreciate your critique ... too :wave:

Cheers Andreas