PDA

View Full Version : Lioness

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2016, 04:42 AM
A very straight forward and perhaps bordering on 'pedestrian' shot of a Lioness, but if I could have, I would have gladly stayed with this prided and not gone to the other two camps, as this pride was such a joy to both photograph and to sit and watch at times. A real privilege to have spent time with them. The females were at their peak, in prime condition, great hunters and if they could be, drop dead gorgeous too.

This was shot early morning (6.30am) the cubs were playing 'tag' on the termite mounds, however the two Lionesses were alert to their surroundings, focus fixed and so little did we know at the time, that this was to the be the start of proceedings in stalking warthog!!!!

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Lioness (Panthera leo)
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 200-400 f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO4000 EV 0
Original format: Landscape, very slight crop
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2015.5

haseeb badar
09-29-2016, 05:45 AM
Hi Steve -- Typical Mr.Steve K shot , with great details and IQ. Liked the side profile and the composition works so well here , with the BG lioness quitely peeking in . I also liked that light hitting on its face . A very good image !

TFS !

Andreas Liedmann
09-29-2016, 05:45 AM
Hi Steve glad to hear you had a great time with that pride .
I like the alert pose with fully concentrated look into the distance . Solid comp and the usual high quality in tone and color , brilliant sharpness !!!
Picking up Rachel´s blues ...:bg3:...i miss some here .To be honest i bet you reduced them a fair bit , as i would expect some blue in the shadow areas , having in mind the time of shooting . Just a personal thought .
I know you could have not tell the lioness in the BG to move , but i think she is not ideal in the BG , specially the eye area is a bit distracting , but not a deal breaker .

BTW are you using Andy Astbury´s way of dealing with contrast and LR , meaning that " under the hood reducing of HL contrast )

Cheers and TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2016, 06:39 AM
Thanks Haseeb, although I did later on have to stop shooting when she was looking directly down the barrel, as she became very focused because of the reflection in the 500 and was taking a bit too much of an interest in me!!!

Andreas, I kept the second lioness in because I liked having the eye in as I felt it was a subtle 'bolstering' of the fixed gaze.

Regarding the Blue I always address that in one of my presets in the initial WF, but will bring it back to suit the scene.

I will deal with contrast in many ways, likewise in achieving perhaps a WB with punch in Landscapes at times. :w3

Rachel Hollander
09-29-2016, 08:04 AM
Hi Steve - A simple portrait but with lots of detail in nice light. I don't mind the bg lioness. Only suggestion I have is to tame the brighter grass stalks under the chin a bit more.

TFS,
Rachel

Gerald Kelberg
09-29-2016, 09:08 AM
Beautiful image, Steve. The distant look seems almost wistful and dreamy. I really like the fine detailed texture of the fur.

Best wishes, Gerald

Satish Ranadive
09-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Magnificent image of sweet lady.

Regards,
satish.

Andreas Liedmann
09-29-2016, 12:12 PM
Steve thanks for the additional info regarding the color , and the inclusion of the second lioness .

keith mitchell
09-30-2016, 08:25 AM
Steve don't think I can add a lot to the above,all the detail and qaulity of the image is superb and afraid can,t make up my mind about the oof Lion.

Keith.

Gabriela Plesea
09-30-2016, 03:46 PM
Dearest Steve,

This is one drop dead gorgeous lioness indeed.

IMO you are being too modest when calling this a "pedestrian shot"...Perfect techs and very original composition with the other girl in the BG, contributing - and enhancing - the mood and feel of the frame overall.

Beautifully exposed and awesome detail, colours spot-on. I love the concentration from the lioness and keep wondering what was she looking at (her next meal?)

I must have said this a hundred times before and I cannot help saying it again: I have learnt more from looking at your images than from all those books on my desk:5

Hope you have a wonderful evening,