PDA

View Full Version : Theme Indian Rhino taxi

Andreas Liedmann
09-29-2016, 03:55 AM
Hi all before this month end i will share also a threatened species
Indian Rhino from northern India , taken during my recent trip earlier this year .
We have been pleased with loads of sightings of this fantastic creatures , i actually prefer them compared to their african relatives , as photographic subjects .
I also do find it more difficult to photograph them , due to their habitat , that includes very high elephant in which they disappear within a second and not be seen . Funny to see that the two tons just separate the grass by moving into it .... and they are gone !!!

Canon EOS 1Dx
EF 200-400 IS L
HH

F 5,6 ; Iso 5000 ; 1/1250 sec ; man exp

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC ; slight crop from all sides ; i kept the WB cool as it was raining and foggy as one can see .

Thanks for watching and commenting to my last posting

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2016, 04:51 AM
Hi Andreas, I really like this and a good title too. :w3

Am away so will leave the colour/WB to you, but it looks a good choice. Going lower in the vehicle I guess was not an option, however my only wish would have been that the horn isn't intersecting the ear.

With hindsight and once you had got these shots 'in the bag', dropping the SS to say 1/160 you would have retained the rain streaks to add even more 'atmosphere' to the image.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
09-29-2016, 05:37 AM
Thanks Steve yes you are right with POV , going lower was actually not an option . The issues at that location are that the roads are mostly elevated above the grassland so one will have many times a higher POV , in some areas one can be on the same level as the rhinos are .But then you need to have the rhino there :e3 and that is not always the case .
I agree with the horn/ ear ...
With hindsight i cannot actually say if it was raining during the shooting , as it was a day with showers coming and going , but you are right regrading the slow SS and the more atmospheric appearance .
Thanks again , Andreas

haseeb badar
09-29-2016, 05:41 AM
Hi Andreas -- One more reason i would like to photograph these Rhino's above their African counterparts is because of their armored skin , but a rhino is a rhino and they are special .
Loved the feel in this image and nice suggestion by Steve to try and get that rain streaks . Good caption :bg3: !

Is it taken from the elephant back ?

TFS !

Andreas Liedmann
09-29-2016, 05:48 AM
Thanks Haseeb ... no taken from car , western range just after crossing the bridge , on the plains to the right hand side .
Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2016, 06:28 AM
Thanks Andreas for expanding on the location, as often without experience, we can take it for granted that it's like Africa. Can I assume you also cannot 'off road'?

Agree with Haseeb, these are more photographic because of their 'armour plated' look, almost prehistoric, but any image of a Rhino is cool and I just wish this will continue, although I doubt it.

Rachel Hollander
09-29-2016, 07:57 AM
Hi Andreas - I always like your images of these Indian Rhinos. Nice textures in the armor. The rainy/foggy feel works as do the cooler colors to the image. This is a really minor point but any chance you got an image where both of the passengers were standing upright without preening?

TFS,
Rachel

Gerald Kelberg
09-29-2016, 09:13 AM
Hey Andreas, you seem to have captured the cool, drizzly atmosphere very well here. And the details on the skin of the Rhino look great. The two Egrets really add a surreal aspect to the image, making for a great story.

Best wishes, Gerald

Andreas Liedmann
09-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Thanks Rachel and Gerald for your comments , much appreciated .

Rachel - sadly no , they did everything at times but not standing both upright . Plus the Rhino was moving ....

Cheers Andreas

keith mitchell
09-30-2016, 08:28 AM
Atmosphere and conditions are caught beautifully Andreas,the couple of Egrets add lots of interest to the scene,very natural shot that appeals a lot to me.

Keith.

Andreas Liedmann
09-30-2016, 01:27 PM
Thanks for your comment Keith , much appreciated . :wave:

Morkel Erasmus
10-02-2016, 04:19 PM
A lovely image, Andreas, and I agree they are more photogenic with their thick-plated skin and almost "cute" horn than their African cousins.

Andreas Liedmann
10-03-2016, 12:25 PM
Thanks Morkel for your visit and comment , much appreciated .