PDA

View Full Version : MYSTIC SUNSET

steve torna
09-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Forest fire smoke enhances a backcountry sunset near Island Lake, West Rosebud Creek Drainage, Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, Montana, August 22, 2016. Canon 5D III, 24-70mm, Lee 3 stop GND filter, RRS tvc 24 tripod, cable release, ISO 100, .4 second @ f/22, image size 5555 x 3703 pixels. Processed in lightroom.

Luis Patacao
09-27-2016, 06:04 AM
Hi Steve, nice landscape here with a good reflection on the FG pond. Overall the image seems a underexposed, specially in the trees and background. The GND used was hard edge placed on the tree base? For this scene i would recommend a GND Soft edge to play with the mountains.

steve torna
09-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Thanks Luis for the critique and I agree it is underexposed but I did use a soft edge GND filter, I must have positioned it too low on the lens. In any case, I am disappointed that I botched the image. I ^ exposure, and shadows which helps but it also introduced some noise. Perhaps it looks a little better. Thanks again steve

Michael Thompson
09-27-2016, 09:51 PM
I like both images, neat composition wiht layers and different colors, I like the re post best, better exposure for sure.

Luis Patacao
09-30-2016, 03:12 AM
Hi Steve, the re post definetly looks better, nicely done!

Andrew McLachlan
10-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Overall a nice scene. I would prefer to see the sun and the pool in the rocks more toward the left side of the comp. When using a grad filter it can be very beneficial to view the scene through the LCD in LIVE VIEW moving the filter to find the optimum position for it. The trees on the left side of the scene could be darkened a bit to reduce some of the noise you introduced by lightening them.