PDA

View Full Version : King of the Mound

Douglas Bolt
09-26-2016, 03:44 PM
Canon 7D2, Canon 100-400II@400mm, 1/400s, f5.6, ISO 400 HH.
Baboon staring at me from a termite mound with an evil look in his eye.

haseeb badar
09-27-2016, 03:02 AM
Hi Doug -- What a great pose and a lovely eye contact ! I loved the way it is perched on top of the mound , the framing also works for me . A find it a bit soft though , a round of sharpening can lift it up . All in all a lovely frame .

TFS !

Andreas Liedmann
09-27-2016, 11:00 AM
Hi Douglas , a cool looking baboon having rest on the mount .
I like the illuminated eyes and the overall color and tone within the frame . You have a nicely separated BG with some irregular patterns , this works quite well to me .
Not ideal from my POV is the cut off of the tail tip . Going vertical would have been the better choice IMHO .

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
09-28-2016, 07:44 AM
Hi Doug - I like the pensive pose and I like negative space so the comp works quite well for me. I am not concerned about the tail though it would have been preferable for it to go behind the mound rather than be clipped. Yes, to a bit more sharpening in the shoulder and cheek.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2016, 03:32 AM
Hi Doug, I like the facial expression and the hard, fixed gaze as he keeps an eye on you. As presented I might look at a 16x9 keeping everything the same, but loosing the space above, or just move the crop down, having more of the mound and less above, however...

I don't feel the framing/crop it's working that well and like Andreas, I would have shot this vertical, but then after getting some frames in the bag, then played with alternative formats if both time & subject allowed. Always good Doug to add in the intro if the image is FF or cropped and if cropped, approximately by how much. I also agree on the comment that the subject looks soft (up the ISO to 800 would not have hurt), however I hope it is a matter of applying a bit more sharpening rather than the RAW actually being soft. Question, did you focus with the centre point, then re compose, or move the FPs to the subject, as using a single, outer FP may not always provide the sharpest image, or were the FP's expanded? Just a thought.

If you have applied a mask for sharpening, then the BKG appears to me, to be over running into the subject - down and along the back, if that makes sense? The clipped tail is unfortunate, but not a deal breaker for me, although I feel it could have been avoided if you quickly checked the screen on the back of the camera, as the subject seemed relaxed and wasn't in a hurry to leave, so you had time.

That first frame is so important, you check the Histogram and comp, make adjustments, then fire a few more frames, check, continue, as I would say 90% of the times, your subject will have given you the time to get it right. I know it's easy to say Doug, but getting some simple 'Protocols' in place will often be a life saver.

TFS
Steve

keith mitchell
09-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Always wonder what they are thinking ,this one looks deep in thought,I like all the colours in the bg and how the animal fits into it,all works for me.

Keith.

Douglas Bolt
09-30-2016, 10:33 AM
Steve,
Thanks for the very helpful comments. And, thanks for taking the time to both analyze the image and then post you thoughts.

After your comments, I tried different standard aspect rations, but didn't find one i liked better than the landscape 3x2. As to crop, I took more off the left and top to put the subject's right eye on the upper/left 1/3 cross hairs.

I don't recall details about focus. I use back button focus and have the AF-ON button set for expand/servo and the * button set for single focus point and to stop focus. I'm guessing I used the * to focus on the eye, but I can't be sure. My thumb does not always hit the button that I want to use.

I did use a masks to sharpen the subject and blur and desaturate the background. Obviously, not with sufficient care.

Steve Kaluski
09-30-2016, 11:03 AM
After your comments, I tried different standard aspect rations, but didn't find one i liked better than the landscape 3x2. As to crop, I took more off the left and top to put the subject's right eye on the upper/left 1/3 cross hairs.

Post the FF version to the max 1200px wide, someone may have a 'spark of genius' to an alternative, working crop???

Douglas Bolt
09-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Steve,

Here is the untweaked version with default settings, including As Shot White Balance. Have at it!

Steve Kaluski
10-01-2016, 01:54 AM
Doug, the original framing I feel is far better than the OP. I think you also have left enough room to give yourself the final crop option too, but obviously avoiding a heavy crop where IQ will drop.

Perhaps something like this, ignore the WB, I just wanted a bit more distinction between subject & BKG. I also like the hint of blue sky creeping in and partially breaking up the 'sea' of green.