PDA

View Full Version : Whistler

Andreas Liedmann
09-26-2016, 02:13 PM
Hi all ,
going on with another image from my big day out ...:bg3:... to the Marmots in Filzmoos ( Austria)
This guy was giving alarm calls at that time , i was away some 50 meters .... grabbed the long lens and tried to get closer without making him run into the burrow .Luckily he did not run off .
I would preferred a slightly different angle ... but in the heat of the moment ... i just shot the frames as presented . Standing upright on a slope trying to find a half way stable ground for myself .

Canon EOS 1Dx
EF 500 IS L II
HH

F 5,6 ; Iso 6400 ; 1/1600 sec ; man exp

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC ; cropped for comp from top and RHS

Thanks fro watching and commenting to my previous post

Cheers Andreas

haseeb badar
09-27-2016, 03:00 AM
Hi Andreas -- I really liked the composition and the details you have inspite of that high iso . The open mouth with visible teeth adds so much to this frame . It is a bit dark though for my liking but not a deal breaker .

TFS !

Andreas Liedmann
09-27-2016, 11:03 AM
Thanks Haseeb for your comment , much appreciated .
I kept it a bit darker and deeper in the tones .... as sun was gone behind the mountains and light started to fade in the Marmot area , whereas on the other side of the valley the sun lit up the mountains .

Just my take , cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
09-27-2016, 12:08 PM
Hi Andreas, agree, slightly more head turn to you, rather than being angled away, would have been better, but sometimes you have to take what you can get, but also the subject would be more flatter to the sensor too. Good to see I'm not the only one pushing the ISO to nail the shot & action, nice one, bet you notice the difference when you pick up the MKIV. This also illustrates my point about DoF, you can see in this shot, how, from the front paws to the end of the 'coat' (fur), how the DoF tails off oh so quickly. The green compliments the subject and provides a nice standout too.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
09-28-2016, 07:41 AM
Hi Andreas - Yes to a more side on profile or angled slightly toward you but the open mouth and visible teeth add a bit of interest. There seems to be a lot of blue in the greys/blacks on the top of the head. Our marmots seem to be much more brown than their European counterparts so I will leave it to you whether to reduce the blues.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-28-2016, 07:49 AM
There seems to be a lot of blue in the greys/blacks on the top of the head.

I'm not seeing that 'visually' Rachel and you mentioned this on my posting too???? Tweaking the WB to a slightly warmer look may help overall, but may stray away from the original scene?

Rachel Hollander
09-28-2016, 08:02 AM
Steve - it jumped out at me in both images on my calibrated monitor but I also tend to always look at my blacks for too much blue so maybe I am overly sensitive to it. If either image were mine I would pull back the blues but they are not so up to you.

Sorry Andreas for the hijack.

Rachel

Douglas Bolt
09-28-2016, 09:12 AM
Beautiful image. The background is also wonderful and focuses my attention on the subject. The pose is not typical, but that makes this image better for me. Well done!

Morkel Erasmus
09-28-2016, 09:53 AM
Love the pose and soft light/colours here Andreas!
DOF does fall off quickly with a small subject so close to the frame. If you had the light/ISO you could have stopped down but it works as posted.

Andreas Liedmann
09-28-2016, 10:59 AM
Thank you folks so much for your kind comments , much appreciated .
I agree a bit more DOF would not have hurt ..... likewise the head angle ... but hey it is as is :bg3: and we have to live with it , and i can :w3

Rachel - regarding the blues i have to agree with Steve in both images :bg3: , with my eyes i cannot see visible blues in both . You are right there is a blue cast when i use the eyedropper ...
Wonder what you have said if i would have posted the original capture ....:t3, shot with daylight WB
I kept my frame cooler than Steve his , simply i shot mine in the shade of the mountains and the blue sky the job by giving the blue tinge across the scene .

But as colors are subjective .... i can live with it very happy

Cheers Andreas

keith mitchell
09-30-2016, 08:49 AM
Pose looks a bit aggressive but adds to the image for me Andreas.Fur texture and sharpness all look very good to me,nice bg sets it all off well.

Keith.