PDA

View Full Version : In Wildness is the Preservation of the World

Richard Smith
09-25-2016, 05:17 PM
This image get the title (from Thoreau) of Eliot Porter's book because it remind's me of his work. It was made in late fall (about a week after prime color) at the Lost Creek area of Beaver's Bend State Park in southeastern Oklahoma. It's a bit wild and chaotic and may be too busy for some but it's a favorite of mine so let's see what you think.

Canon 50D, EF 28-135 @ 41mm. 0.5 sec @ f8. ISO 100.

Luis Patacao
09-27-2016, 06:07 AM
Hi Richard, i do enjoy the color mix in this image with the predominant "green" trees standing out, but the image IQ seems weird why?

Morkel Erasmus
09-27-2016, 04:38 PM
Hey Richard
I agree with Luis. There are certainly interesting colours here but some of them seem a little off, and the image quality seems to have suffered from whatever you did in processing...?
The composition works with the lines(trees) and the framing, but the overall colour and quality just throws me a little. Perhaps if you post a straight-out-of-camera version we can compare?

Don Railton
09-27-2016, 11:14 PM
Ditto... and I would also make your signature a little smaller but i appreciate that's a little more personal...

DON

Richard Smith
09-28-2016, 09:29 AM
I think it is a bit too yellow. Here's a fresh start with little less yellow. See if it looks better to you. I had not looked at the unaltered RAW file in some time and it is, unfortunately, quite flat. All the data is piled up in the middle of the histogram - in fact it looks like a classic bell curve. So it's a bit underexposed and presents a processing challenge.

As to the watermark, it is only for internet security. It is not on any prints, digital files, or stock agency versions.

Andrew McLachlan
10-04-2016, 02:08 PM
Hi Richard, I love intimate scenes such as this...for my tastes I think the greens are a bit too saturated...I do agree on the images quality suffering but from what I am not sure.