PDA

View Full Version : Black Necked Stilt

Krishna Prasad kotti
09-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Hi All,

I took this image yesterday during sunset at Farmington bay.

I always had difficulty in shooting Black necked stilt because I fail to get close enough to them, I always blow the whites and loose details on the bird.

Though I like this shot, I think something is wrong, may be I should have got a bit closer to the bird. Even though I had to crawl my way close to the bird, they found me and did not allow me to come closer.

Shot with Nikon D500, at 600mm
1/2500 sec, f/6.3, ISO 800

Post processing:-
Minimal corrections using Lightroom, Photoshop with Neat image

Do let me know know your comments.

Thanks
Krishna

Brian Desjardins
09-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Hi Krishna , very nice shot, I like the pose, and water movement as he is moving his leg through the water, the ripples give a nice effect also, maybe not as much feather detail but understandable not being able to get closer to the bird. That said still a great shot. TY for sharing.

Tim Foltz
09-25-2016, 02:54 PM
Krishna, I really like the comp on this, nice BG and Head angle, sharpness is ok at this distance, good job.

-Tim

Doug Brown
10-02-2016, 09:23 AM
Detail looks good Krishna as does your exposure. The water is beautiful. For black and white birds try pushing your exposure 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop into the blinkies; that will typically bring out decent detail in the blacks and leave you with recoverable whites. You should become familiar with how much exposure you can recover in your whites using your image processing software of choice.

Krishna Prasad kotti
10-11-2016, 03:14 PM
Detail looks good Krishna as does your exposure. The water is beautiful. For black and white birds try pushing your exposure 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop into the blinkies; that will typically bring out decent detail in the blacks and leave you with recoverable whites. You should become familiar with how much exposure you can recover in your whites using your image processing software of choice.

Thank you for the Info Doug

Michael Thompson
10-16-2016, 07:21 PM
I know it is hard to sneak up to them, a lot of my birds are pixel starved! I think this one is a keeper though due to the nice golden light and lovely water, the bird looks fine since you didnt crop in too much.