PDA

View Full Version : Assassin Bug

Brian Desjardins
09-21-2016, 09:20 AM
Hi everyone, Shot this yesterday, saw a bee laying on it's side got in closer and saw it was being fed on by this Assassin bug Acholla (correct me if i'm mistaken).
Was an overcast day so I went and got my macro lens and flash. Took quiet a few shots 250 to be exact, different angles, f stop, lighting, ect. Thought I would post this one first.
This is a stack of 8 shots using the flash, handheld. Was kinda windy to say the least but this is what I got in the end run. I must say that some of the f/16 single shots are as good as the stack but wanted your opinions before I posted some of the other shots.
Thank you for looking

Nikon D7000
Tamron 90mm
Iso 100
f/16
1/200s
Flash Nikon sb-24 @ 85mm, F/16
Fotodiox 8x6 softbox/diffuser

Steve Maxson
09-23-2016, 04:36 PM
A nice find, Brian, and it sounds like you had fun working it! This looks good for a hand-held stack in the wind and the flash is well diffused. You might consider selectively brightening some of the dark areas around the bee's head and neck a little to see if you like that better. Overall, this is very nicely done!

Brian Desjardins
09-23-2016, 06:48 PM
Hi Steve, Thank you for the comment, I did have a lot of fun, with the wind it made it more challenging, and I do see what you are talking about, it is a little bit dark around his head. I might never have noticed it being a bit color blind, ill give it a go and see what it looks likes. Again ty for the info and nice comments.

Allen Sparks
09-24-2016, 08:52 PM
Hi Brian,
Terrific behavioral shot showing predator and prey. I like the composition and the "action" is well set off by the pink flower. The abdomen of the bug seems just a wee bit sharper than the head to me even though good details are still captured - wonder what the single shot would look like. A very well done image.
Allen

Jonathan Ashton
10-14-2016, 09:51 AM
Great shot my only suggestion is that the legs of the assassin are an important element in the image and they are not so well focused as other parts, but I have no doubt this was not easy, good to see you were trying different settings, perhaps try a few from a little further back next time.