PDA

View Full Version : Lactarius deliciosus emerging

John Cooper
06-13-2008, 10:29 PM
This species is found in pine forests and is commonly known as the Saffron Milk Cap. It is edible and much sort after by connoisseurs.
It often amazes me how such seemingly delicate structures are able to push up through compacted earth!!

EOS 5, Canon 100mm macro, ISO 100, Natural light with fill flash, F22, Tripod.

Sharna Lee
06-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Very cool looking shroom. When I would visit my aunt and uncle in illinois we would go mushroom hunting.
We had to be careful of quicksand though. I jumped down one embankment and into a pool of it. My cousin had to fish me out. It was fun :D

Bill Whitney
06-14-2008, 03:19 PM
John....You are the master of the mushrooms.....now where are the magical ones;) This may be just emerging but look like someone has already started nibbling on it. Another wonderful image.

Robert O'Toole
06-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Hi John,

Wow great illustration of a classic struggle that happens all day long every day but I dont think many people ever notice.

Are those spots on the stem or bite marks, or bruises? they look like a pattern.

Robert

John Cooper
06-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi John,

Wow great illustration of a classic struggle that happens all day long every day but I dont think many people ever notice.

Are those spots on the stem or bite marks, or bruises? they look like a pattern.

Robert
You are quite right Robert - the spots are a characteristic feature of this species.