PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Sanderling Reflection

Daniel Cadieux
09-17-2016, 02:37 PM
As much as I like crawling around for shorebird photography for those ultra low angles, there are times that getting higher is advantageous. Going for reflections is one of those times as going higher gives a better, and less distorted, view of them. When I saw this young Sanderling approach a shallow pool of water on the beach I saw the potential, got higher (in a sort of crouching position), and hoped it would head for the middle of that pool. After teasing along the edges for a while it finally went for it!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/2000s., f/8, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, small crop after levelling the image, a few distracting bits remove form the water surface.

Eric Dienesch
09-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Perfect Mirror and a nice pose, i like your sanderling very much.

John Whaley
09-17-2016, 08:46 PM
About as good as you get with a Sanderling and it's reflection. Awesome shot. Maybe the water is a shade blue+?.

Matthew Jones
09-17-2016, 10:36 PM
Another one of your cracking shorebird images Dan. Love the looking glass effect and detail on this one. Agree totally with slightly elevated POV and great anticipation to be ready and in position when the Sanderling finally 'went for it'. Our shorebird 'season' is just starting with 2 Sanderlings, Knots and Godwits showing up over the last few days, very exciting!

Satish Ranadive
09-19-2016, 07:32 AM
Magnificent image. Love the superb pose with beautiful reflection and water rings.

Regards,
Satish.

Stu Bowie
09-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Hi Dan, love all the different shapes of the ripples from the feeding behaviour, and I do like the light, and colour of the water. Another vote for having raised your camera to have the reflection, and as clear reflection as you can get.