PDA

View Full Version : Theme White Lion of the Timbavati

Rachel Hollander
09-17-2016, 07:30 AM
I really was blessed with some rare sightings this trip including an opportunity to see a white lion in the Timbavati. The Giraffe Pride which includes two white lionesses often spends time on property where safari vehicles cannot traverse. This time though they ventured to an adjacent plot late one day and we had a chance to see one of the lionesses. It was believed that the other had recently delivered cubs and was denning. This lioness was also pregnant. Most of the pride was off somewhere else and she was resting with one of her tawny pride mates. Lions are listed as vulnerable on the IUCN Red List but wild white lions are a true rarity. The light was difficult with the lions in the heavy shade of a bush just before sunset but some sun coming through from behind/side.

Canon 7DII
100-400 II @ 312 mm
1/1000
f6.3
ISO 800
HH from safari vehicle, slight crop from above and right for comp, levels, curves, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Marc Mol
09-17-2016, 09:38 AM
Not ideal conditions for sure Rachel, but this is so much more than the image itself, it's all about experiencing/savouring something very special indeed. :5

TFS

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-17-2016, 12:44 PM
Congrats Rachel on the sighting. Am sure it must have been thrilling to see em. I like the expression on the lioness and the details. TFS.

Morkel Erasmus
09-18-2016, 04:59 AM
So glad you saw this! I've yet to see these in the wild.
For those interested - it's not albinism but a recessive white gene that only occurs in some prides in Southern Africa every few generations.
I think you made the most of the opportunity given the lazy lions and the light.

Rachel Hollander
09-18-2016, 06:32 AM
Thanks Marc, Sanjeev and Morkel. I had seen the mother of these two lionesses on one of my prior trips. She was definitely lighter than other lions but not white. This was my first time to actually see a white lion.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Basil Dardagan
09-19-2016, 02:27 AM
What a privilege to see ! WOW

haseeb badar
09-19-2016, 09:08 AM
Hi Rachel -- Thanks for sharing this , thrilled to see this . Good details and you have done well considering the lighting .
I feel it is a bit tight at the bottom .

TFS !

Jonathan Ashton
09-19-2016, 03:03 PM
You certainl caught it Rachel, beautiful rendition and details. I don't really know why but when I looked I first thaought it was a large cub as opposed to adult.

Rachel Hollander
09-20-2016, 06:51 AM
Thanks Basil, Haseeb and Jon. Haseeb, I also would prefer a little more room below.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-23-2016, 07:20 AM
Nice one Rachel, I might trim a sliver off the top to balance the foot as you have no more below.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
09-24-2016, 09:07 AM
Thanks Steve:wave: