PDA

View Full Version : Grey Seal at sunrise

Krijn Trimbos
01-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Last year I went on a workshop with wild images to Donna Nook England. We were going for seal pup shots, but this adult was the first seal I bumped into. Normally you would want your subject to come to you, but I think the empty beach it was running towards gave this a nice feel and went for this approach. Hope you like it.

Comments are welcome,

Canon EOS 30D 1/250 f8
ISO 400
Canon 19-35 EFS
Focal Length 19mm
RAW

Jim Poor
01-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Very interesting. It looks like he's running off into a desert rather than a beach. The clouds and colors are super. The image has a very lonely feeling.

Fabs Forns
01-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Love the simplicity of the composition and the sky. I'd be tempted to take some off the bottom. Horizon is still a bit centered for me :)
Great environmental work!!!!

Jasper Doest
01-09-2008, 02:15 AM
Krijn, I really like the overall atmosphere this photograph. The colours are very nice, as is the detail in the sky. Personally, I would increase the contrast in the bottom a bit so that the seal would stand out better from the sand.I am not really sure about the line going through the frame. I know it's a natural track of the seal, however, it doesn't have any interaction with this particular seal. If you would have chosen a slightly lower angle, or perhaps waited a few seconds for the seal to cross the track in the sand, that would have been a great improvement to this photograph. I fully agree with Fab's comments about the horizon. In my opinion it would have been nicer if you shot this from a lower angle at a slightly smaller distance to the seal using your wide-angle to add a little bit more sky to your photograph. Perhaps you can give it a try during your next visit to this unique location. Keep up the good work!

D. Robert Franz
01-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Agree with most of the above suggestions. Really a moody image. Love the feeling of a vast landscape.