PDA

View Full Version : Theme Drops of Anger

Morkel Erasmus
09-08-2016, 01:33 AM
A massive hippopotamus bull in a display of territorial dominance.
I went for a low-key approach in processing this photo, which wasn't hard to do since the bank behind the hippo was covered in dark foliage anyway.

The fact that Hippopotamus amphibius which once occured in vast numbers in waterways all over Africa is now listed as Vulnerable on the IUCN Red List is testament to how mankind has screwed over the continent of Africa over the last 150 years. :eek3:

Photo taken lying flat next to the dam at Zimanga Private Game Reserve in South Africa.

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
1.4x teleconverter
f8.0 | 1/1250 SS | ISO-1250

Rachel Hollander
09-08-2016, 05:43 AM
Hi Morkel - I like the low key treatment and the conversion as well as the low pov. It appears oversharpened to me though.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
09-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Hi Morkel -- Loved what you have done with the image , very nice frame . I too find it oversharpened . Well seen and executed .

TFS !

Gabriela Plesea
09-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Hello Morkel,

How come you went all the way to Zimanga and you did not pop in to say hello to me in Hluhluwe:2eyes2:

I really like this, it has an arty feel to it. Well processed too. Every now and then you come up with something really unusual and original and I find that exciting.

I do agree this appears over-sharpened, but at the same time I am not sure it would have the same effect if the sharpening was less. This works for me as is. Well done, the framing is great and I like the expression from the hippo, the mean looking eye, the aggression.

Thank you for sharing Morkel, a real pleasure to view.

Have a great week-end,

Morkel Erasmus
09-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Thanks for chiming in, folks...

How come you went all the way to Zimanga and you did not pop in to say hello to me in Hluhluwe:2eyes2:

I really like this, it has an arty feel to it. Well processed too. Every now and then you come up with something really unusual and original and I find that exciting.

I do agree this appears over-sharpened, but at the same time I am not sure it would have the same effect if the sharpening was less. This works for me as is. Well done, the framing is great and I like the expression from the hippo, the mean looking eye, the aggression.

Thank you for sharing Morkel, a real pleasure to view.

Have a great week-end,

This was in June 2014 eh :e3
I will look at it again but the drops lose their impact if they are not "crisp".

Gabriela Plesea
09-10-2016, 03:41 PM
Morkel, no excuses:) When you decide to come back to Zimanga, let me know...

Agree about the crispness, this is why I said this works for me as is. No need to look again IMO.

I am planning a trip to Zimanga soon, I have not seen the overnight hide yet...BTW, they have lions too now.

Nite Morkel, and have a great day tomorrow:)

Marc Mol
09-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Nicely processed mono here Morkel, it's the crispy water drops that adds contrast and impact, the visible eye and framed open jaw all working nicely.

TFS

Giovanni Frescura
09-16-2016, 04:10 AM
Hello
I love a lot it...I love wildlife in b/n and aldo you cut of the image...