PDA

View Full Version : Light that Candle (Almourol Castle)

Luis Patacao
09-07-2016, 04:33 PM

About one month ago, on my short holidays, i went up to the center of Portugal to a sweet area named Castelo de Bode. In one of the days i got up for a nice sunrise at Castelo de Almourol (Castle in the middle of the River, with a historical heritage in our country).

I waited for the exact moment where only the "top" of the castle was lit by the sunrise and was happy with the result. What do you think?

Techs:
D7000, sigma 10-20mm at 14mm, f/8, 1/5s, ISO100.

Don Railton
09-07-2016, 11:15 PM
Hi Luis, you achieved what you wanted, so that's good..! For me however, I think the impact would have been greater if all the castle was lit up (ie shooting 10 minutes earlier) because the lit area as presented is quite small. Your greens are still very strong for me but we already talked about that..:S3:.. I like the composition..

Don

Morkel Erasmus
09-12-2016, 03:51 PM
Hi Luis.
I agree with Don, especially on the greens being oversaturated.
I do like the nice colours in the sky and think you could tease those out some more.

Morkel Erasmus
09-12-2016, 03:56 PM
As an example, Luis - see this repost.

Here's what I did:

Saturation: GREEN -30
Saturation: MAGENTA +30
Saturation: YELLOW +10
Saturation: RED +5
Saturation: BLUE + 15
Saturation: CYAN +10

It is a simple colour balance issue.
I'd be keen to hear what you think of this repost?

Luis Patacao
09-13-2016, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback Don and Morkel. The greens problem is solved now, i fixed a preset on LR that always inceased them.

Morkel i appreciate your repost, i`ve adjusted the colors closely (mainly because of the greens and your suggestion on the magentas) Thanks!

Here is the adjusted version:

Don Lacy
09-13-2016, 06:15 PM
The repost rocks and I like the that just the top of the castle is lit from the sun it anchors the comp. If this was mine I would crop it just a bit tighter taken some of the bottom about half way to the rock and a corresponding amount from the left

Andrew McLachlan
09-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Hi Luis, I like the repost best...you addressed the concerns nicely...I like the comp and the lighting on the castle too...if you are not opposed to it I might consider cleaning up the bits of vegetation poking out of the water in the lower left region.

Luis Patacao
09-27-2016, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback and tips Don and Andrew, much appreciated! :)