PDA

View Full Version : Theme Mother and Calf

Rachel Hollander
09-07-2016, 07:53 AM
The critically endangered black rhino photographed just before sunset.

Canon 5D3
300 f2.8 II
1/500
f6.7
ISO 1600
Monopod from safari vehicle, levels, curves, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Nice light here Rachel and I'm glad you kept Mom below the tree line. What was the calf looking at? If it were me, I might have removed the stick behind her left leg, as viewed.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
09-07-2016, 09:22 AM
Thanks Steve. I'm not sure what the calf was looking at, maybe another vehicle or a bird. I knew someone would say remove the stick but you also know that for me, if it was there and natural, it stays.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-07-2016, 12:29 PM
A beautiful image of these endangered species! Lovely light and the animals facing us & clear view are a real bonus. Those horns are amazing and look so much better on the animal than off it! TFS. Really liked this one!

Marc Mol
09-07-2016, 02:36 PM
A lovely head up pose by both pair here Rachel in fine late light, I gather they had sensed your presence? Just wish junior wasn't casting that shadow line across mum.

TFS

Morkel Erasmus
09-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Nice setting here with the soft light and the red sand. I like how they are standing, though Marc has a point on the calf's shadow (we can't have it all eh).
Good detail, sharpness and colour Rachel. Special to see these for sure!

Rachel Hollander
09-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Thanks Sanjeev, Marc and Morkel. I'm glad you like this one.

haseeb badar
09-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Hi Rachel -- A very nice image of these amazing creatures ! Loved the light and colour of it , also nice details and sharpness and good call on DOF ! Interesting observation by Marc regarding that shadow line but not under your control .

TFS !

Gabriela Plesea
09-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Hello again Rachel,
This is one very special capture indeed, stunning black rhino in beautiful light:cheers:

Great POV and the pose is fantastic. Good detail and I love to see the open mouth of the mother as she is busy eating.

Framing works for me and I have no problem with the shadow. Nice DOF Rachel.

There's nothing I dislike here, I do agree some of the the sticks are a bit distracting but I know you don't interfere with these things. Well processed, my friend.

Awesome sighting, I can only imagine how special this moment was for you and I truly appreciate this post - thank you very much Rachel :S3:

Kind regards,