PDA

View Full Version : Another Juvenile Semipalmated Sandpiper

Isaac Grant
09-06-2016, 01:03 PM
I have taken so many pictures of these guys this year. They are just so numerous and confiding as well. Posting this as it is a little different. I like the green at the bottom of the frame and the head turn towards me as well. I have the standard portrait shot of this bird but I like this one more. Perhaps its just personal preference on my part. Taken at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge on the East Pond.

Canon 7dii and Canon 500 f4 ii. Tripod mounted while lying in the mud. ISO 400, F9, SS 1/1250

Converted in DPP 4. Auto White Balance. In PS I sharpened, adjusted highlights and shadows, contrast and saturation. Also applied noise reduction to background. Full frame.

Interested on thoughts about the green at the bottom of the frame and also if others would prefer the head more parallel to the back of the camera. Or perhaps with the feet out of the water?

annmpacheco
09-06-2016, 02:13 PM
Hi Isaac,
I like your image very much, the feather detail and white fringe is wonderful. I would prefer more canvas on both sides and a bit more on the bottom so the "green" is more prominent rather than a "sampling." I like the eye contact and HA here and i always prefer a view of the feet. You've been doing really well with these sandpipers!

Bill Dix
09-07-2016, 08:23 AM
Isaac, I like the green, and the head turn is just right for me (although I also like profile shots). Great detail on the head and neck. The feet would be nice if thinking of this as a stand-alone image; but knowing that you have lots with feet showing, this is a nice addition to the set. If mine I might have taken out the second catchlight (some will disagree), and perhaps lightened the iris just a tad.

Daniel Cadieux
09-07-2016, 04:55 PM
"Least" only in name...I have a soft spot for all the peeps! Appealing colours. I likely would have photographed wide open, this would have given the FG greens a nicer blur to them. I get the impression the image may need some CCW rotation. I'm OK with both feet submerged in the water, I just would have preferred a bit of separation of the legs. Perfect head angle, and the detail is spot on. I love the texture of the water surface.

Isaac Grant
09-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback all. Daniel, I was torn about the fstop. As the birds were close, I wanted to be sure to get the whole bird in focus. Again this shot is full frame. So I sacrificed a bit of blur to the foreground to get the whole bird in focus.

I find it interesting that again you mentioned some rotation. On a few of your images I thought they needed some rotation as well but this one seems ok for me. Maybe our equilibrium is just a tad off. :bugeyed: In this case there is a small wave on the left side up until under the birds beak that is making the left side seem off. The right side is flat and to me seems level. Not a big deal but interesting how the eye sees things.

Daniel Cadieux
09-08-2016, 03:10 PM
With your explanation I can see how the undulating water from left to right created the illusion for rotation. It wouldn't be the first time my equilibrium is a tad off, according to my wife, but in completely different context!:t3

Sometimes when I anticipate a bird coming in real close I also stop down in hopes of tight portraits, so I can relate fiddling with settings...

Isaac Grant
09-08-2016, 03:44 PM
Ha! Join the club. Actually that brings up an interesting point. In a situation like my pic do you split the middle and leave the left and right side both a bit off? Do you level the right? Level the left? What would be ideal other than level water!

Satish Ranadive
09-09-2016, 09:56 AM
Excellent image on beautiful blue BG. Nice pose and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

gail bisson
09-09-2016, 11:12 AM
IQ and exposure are perfect.
Great POV as well.
Image appears good re: leveling for me.
I would remove the second catchlight if mine but not a big deal.
I like the green at the bottom and could see a version with more green at the bottom,
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
09-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Man, I can still see that illusion of needing levelling!:e3 Forgive me if I am wrong (and please ignore the quick patch job along the bottom to fill in the gaps after rotation), but here's a repost with 1.88 degrees of CCW rotation.

Isaac Grant
09-09-2016, 04:45 PM
It looks to me that the water is leaning left now and that the right side is higher. But certainly can not rule out that my eyes are 1.88 degrees off. Other parts of my body certainly are :bg3: