PDA

View Full Version : Theme Time for a change

Steve Kaluski
09-06-2016, 06:03 AM
Just to change tact from 'African' animals, perhaps some Indian ones guys????

This rather thin, young male was crossing the pack ice as we caught up with him, voices caught his attention, hence the head turn.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) walking on the frozen ice pack.
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400 f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/640s at f/8 ISO3200 EV +1.33
Original format: Landscape, small crop for presentation on the sides/top
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2015.5

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Hi Steve, yep a change was overdue :-) I haven't been in the Indian jungles in a while so I guess Haseeb can chip in here! I love the way you have rendered the whites in the subject and snow. Nice look at those large claws and feet. Well framed with solid techs. TFS.

Andrew McLachlan
09-06-2016, 07:28 PM
Beautifully captured Steve with nice detail in the fur!

Steve Kaluski
09-07-2016, 03:25 AM
I love the way you have rendered the whites in the subject and snow.

Thanks Sanjeev, but it really is oh so simple and goes back to the Histogram stage, get that right, capture as much data as possible and it's really so simple to process. Two layers curve adjustments job done for the snow/pack ice. The majority of all the Polar bear images are general less than 1GB in 'Master file' size compared to Africa which is between 1 -1.8GB.

Sanjeev there is no reason you could not achieve the same given the opportunity.

Cheers Andrew. :wave:

Rachel Hollander
09-07-2016, 07:03 AM
Hi Steve - Nice detail and I like the sort of quirky pose. Surprised you did not go for more ss though.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-07-2016, 07:38 AM
Surprised you did not go for more ss though.

I probably did Rachel, but dialling in the EV probably robbed me of that and took my eye - 'off the ball' regarding the techs. However, all I needed was just to nail one frame to secure the image and as he was stationary, (not moving), that was fine.

Morkel Erasmus
09-08-2016, 01:45 AM
Cool pose and as always masterfully exposed.
I do feel like it could use a slight rotation CW? You probably leveled on the ice line behind him but to me the stance of the paws is a stronger "horizon judge"? :t3

haseeb badar
09-08-2016, 08:29 AM
Hi Steve -- Very beautifully done ! The image has done full justice to the beautiful subject and the surroundings. Very nice IQ as usual . I too feel it needs a bit of CW rotation .

TFS !

Satish Ranadive
09-14-2016, 01:10 AM
Excellent image.

Regards,
Satish.