AV f4
TV 1/400
ISO 100
Exp +0,67
Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5

Thanks for looking:bg3:

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-04-2016, 08:09 AM
Hi Dumay, this is really nice, Clean, majestic and well composed. Good sharpness where it matters and colours look good too,

Rachel Hollander
09-04-2016, 08:44 AM
Hi Dumay - This looks good with another relaxed pose of the cat. Good detail and soft colors. I'm guessing from the settings that this might have been late on a morning drive or early afternoon and slightly overcast? I might have gone for a bit more dof but it works as is too.

TFS,
Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
09-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Thanks guys, Rachel it was taken in the early evening. If you could clarify why more DOF, the whole cat is sharp except for the end of the tail so I am uncertain as to why you say more DOF....?

Rachel Hollander
09-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Hi Dumay - the rear paws look a bit sharper to me than the front paws so I would have gone for a little more dof to have tail to front most paw in focus. Of course, this is easy to say in hindsight but I found myself on my recent trip if I actually had decent light and a stagnant subject then I tried a few different apertures.

Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
09-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Well that make total sense. As you see I had the ISO very low so could have played with more DOF. I suppose I have to get past my days of bird photography thinking of trying to separate the subject more from the BG.

Rachel Hollander
09-04-2016, 10:20 AM
Dumay - It's a matter of personal preference but having it in the so-called can gives options later. I would agree with you on the narrower dof with a busy bg that you wanted separation from but here with the sand the bg does not distract or detract.

Just my thoughts,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
09-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Nice lion here Dumay, always cool finding them on this patch of the Sands (the "beach" right?)
Old boy, has seen some stuff in his life.
Good discussion with Rachel - I often find myself going too shallow, especially now that I have a 400mm f2.8, trying to get that nice creamy bokeh, so fully understand your predicament :)

John Hackney
09-04-2016, 09:43 PM
Well taken. Very good sharpness. As a bird photographer I too have the same issues with DOF. You have all of the critical areas sharp so missing the tail and paws as critical sharp is no issue to me.

haseeb badar
09-05-2016, 02:34 AM
Hi Dumay -- A very majestic looking subject and nice details and sharpness , i tend to agree with Rachel's advice here , but it is always easily said then done , Very nicely done .

TFS !

Steve Kaluski
09-06-2016, 01:16 AM
Hi Dumay, seems a very relaxed, sleepy lion, but still conveys 'who's boss'.

With an uncluttered BKG as you have here and with enough distance between the subject and the BKG going for say f/8 I doubt would have any effect to the clean backdrop. With the ISO you had I would have easily cranked it to 400 with zero effect to IQ but would have given you more SS and a choice of unceasing your DoF. If you have it, then I might move the whole crop down, loosing a sliver off the top, but gaining a little at the foot. The tongue is a nice bonus.

TFS
Steve