PDA

View Full Version : Fifty Point

Tim Harding
09-02-2016, 09:04 PM

Sunrise at the popular Fifty Point Conservation Area near Grimsby, Ontario

Canon 5D MK III, 24-70 F4 L
F/16 ISO 50

This image is a blend of 2 exposures - 25s for the water and pier, and 5s for the sky. A Singh-Ray variable ND filter was used to adjust the EV.
That is the Toronto skyline on the horizon across Lake Ontario.

This my first post in the Landscape forum, so any C&C would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don Lacy
09-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Hi Tim, I really like th comp and you have some wonderful color in the sky. I find the tonal values between the sky and pier to be off giving the image a unreal look. The foreground elements are brighter then the sky which is impossible if you tone down the foreground brightness I think you will have a stronger image.

Don Railton
09-04-2016, 11:19 PM
Hi Tim, I too like the composition, but the wood pilings etc have a grittyness to it that is hurting the image i feel. I also see a hint of smudging around the short stumps to the right of the main structure and on the horizon. I think its definately worth playing with a bit more though, there is lots of character in those timbers..

DON

Tim Harding
09-05-2016, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

Adhika Lie
09-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Looks like shot using a speed light. I really like the minimalism in the Toronto's skyline but the foreground is a little too crunchy for me.

Tim Harding
09-05-2016, 10:28 AM
This version is much closer to the original RAW files.

Andrew McLachlan
09-06-2016, 06:54 PM
Hi Tim...I like the composition and the repost looks much better for the foreground, but the Toronto skyline appears much softer than the original post. I would also be inclined to clone out the buoys in the water as they are competing with the Toronto skyline.

Morkel Erasmus
09-11-2016, 05:02 PM
Late to this one - the repost is better but it's still too light in the shadows and midtones in my view?
I like the composition, but I do think this has been overcooked in processing a tad...
Look forward to seeing more landscape photos from you, Tim!