PDA

View Full Version : Lions in the sky

Marc Mol
09-02-2016, 07:45 AM
On a recent trip to Selinda/Botswana I was most fortunate to capture a very special moment showing 4 females and 1 cub from the Wapuka pride coming down to drink.
In attempting to capture the reflective atmosphere and avoid 'just another sunset' image, I flipped the shot to show the animals the right way up, creating an intriguing scene.
Lion reflections/silhouettes in water are certainly nothing new, however to have all five with clear separation was just a dream come true!
Being ultra picky, I would have loved the head of leading lioness clear, but the phrase....never look a gift horse in the mouth comes to mind. :bg3:

I've been very lucky to have some commercial success with numerous magazine & newspaper publications, finalist in BBC WWPOTY & Nature's Best (US & RSA) with this image also taking out 3rd place in the Mammals category in Europe's Oasis Nature Competition recently with over 22000 entries from 62 countries, so truly an honour!

Selinda- Botswana.
Nikon D4s Nikkor 70-200f/4 1/400s f/4 ISO12800@70mm.
Bean bag, front pax seat, apart from cropping out the upper sky portion, this image has had minimal processing, with just a simply change of WB warmth and darkening the darks, ACR & PS 'CC 15.

Cheers
Marc

haseeb badar
09-03-2016, 04:47 AM
Hi MArc -- You wont believe but as soon as I opened this image the first thing which came to my mind , " Wow , Marc should enter this one in BBC " an absolute winner ! Cracking stuff , I am such a big fan of your photography , you never cease to amaze me . I absolutely loved this one . By finalist in BBC you mean did it won or was in the final round of judging ? just curious to know . And congrats for this image and all the fame that it garnered . Superb stuff and Very well done .

PS : That cub in the center with its Head raised and the raised tail of the lioness is absolutely priceless .

TFS !

Marc Mol
09-03-2016, 05:11 AM
Many thanks Haseeb for your kind words.

By finalist in BBC you mean did it won or was in the final round of judging ? just curious to know .

Re. BBC it made the final round of judging, (Natures Best- a semi-finalist) like a lot of other entries of course, but didn't progress further, unfortunately, oh well...there's always next year,..... trouble is, I've been saying that for many years now! LOL :bg3:

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-03-2016, 05:26 AM
A very creative and interesting scene indeed Marc! Wonderfully seen and executed. TFS.

Rachel Hollander
09-03-2016, 06:33 AM
Hi Marc - Stunning graphic image! Interesting that you flipped it. Love the separation but do wish as you do for that first head to be clear too. Still, great creative thinking.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
09-03-2016, 07:34 AM
[QUOTE
Re. BBC it made the final round of judging, (Natures Best- a semi-finalist) like a lot of other entries of course, but didn't progress further, unfortunately, oh well...there's always next year,..... trouble is, I've been saying that for many years now! LOL :bg3:[/QUOTE]

And that is what it keeps you going and trying out different things . And I am sure there will definitely be a next time .

Dumay de Boulle
09-03-2016, 07:48 AM
I like the creative aspect....I would love to see this in and A1 print...:Whoa!:

John Hackney
09-04-2016, 09:24 AM
Wonderful inspiration to flip the photo. Such a great shot.

Morkel Erasmus
09-04-2016, 10:16 AM
A cracking image and great vision to flip it, Marc! Deserves all the accolades.
:5 :cheers:

Sure there is an award coming sooner rather than later!

Andrew McLachlan
09-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Fabulous image Marc...re-enter it in the BBC for sure

Marc Mol
09-07-2016, 03:41 AM
Many thanks to Morkel, John, Dumay, Haseeb, Rachel & Sanjeev for your kind words of encouragement!

Fabulous image Marc...re-enter it in the BBC for sure

Thanks Andrew

Entry cond's here state:

(5) Entrants are not permitted to submit images that:

(iv) have been awarded any prize, recommendation or other award in any international competition before 24 October 2016.

At the time of entry (early this year) this image had not won any nomination/award, and hence was eligible, that's not the case now, so unfortunately no re-submission is possible. :e3

.........no complaints. :bg3:

Cheers

Marc