View Full Version : Arctic Tern

William Dickson
09-01-2016, 05:03 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm
f/6.3
1/3200
ISO 640

This is one of the last shots of these beautiful birds I managed to get, before they fly off, until next year.

Will

Joseph Przybyla
09-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Lovely image, Will. I like the bird's stare, wing position, and dangling feet. The two color background works well with the black and white of the bird. I think the only thing that could have improved the image is if you had bright overcast instead of blue sky, then I think the shadows would be none or very faint. Thank you for sharing.

David Salem
09-02-2016, 12:12 AM
This is one of those shot that you say, Oh man that would have been awesome if it weren't for the shadows. The blacks that are in the sun are overexposed and the whites are fried in spots. The light angle isn't lined up well, but you may not have had a choice. When shooting Terns in the sun, at almost any cost, try to get the sun directly behind you. Keep shooting, you've come a long way:S3:

keith mitchell
09-02-2016, 02:46 AM
Think Davids comment covers the technical aspects of your image very well Will,but I really do like the pose that you have caught with the flailed out tail and wing position,I,m fine with the two toned bg.

Keith.

gail bisson
09-02-2016, 04:47 AM
I love the curvy line from the tail feathers.
Great pose and I like the BG.
The sun appears to have been really bright which makes shooting terns soooo....hard. Whites look blown out on the birds left wing.
I would love for you to get this type of pose on an overcast day!
Gail

Bill Dix
09-02-2016, 11:10 AM
Great flight pose. The lighting already covered.

Daniel Cadieux
09-02-2016, 11:20 AM
The best part of the image are the two curled outer tail feathers...pretty neat! I agree about the light, and the processing that needed to be done to tame the light and shadows has reduced the IQ on the subject. Still a pretty nifty overall pose and a good BG.

Marina Scarr
09-10-2016, 07:08 AM
Love that pose, and obviously very difficult to achieve, but image isn't working for me. Ditto what David said.