PDA

View Full Version : Hover fly:- Helophilus trivittatus (?)

Jonathan Ashton
09-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Tripod, Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Canon 180mm macro
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/200
Av (Aperture Value) 11.0
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 800
This is on water mint by the garden pond, I liked the way he was having a wash and brush up, I have others with the tail end in focus but unfortunately not when he was having a wash.
I reduced the sharpening on the mint and I can't decide if it is still a little to sharp - your views/comments would be of interest.

Steve Maxson
09-03-2016, 12:34 PM
A really nice behavioral shot, Jon! Love the sharpness on the fly, the eye-level shooting angle, and the soft light. Good comp and background, too. The sharpness on the plant looks OK to me. Very well done!

Jerry van Dijk
09-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Very nice Jonathan. Pose, exposure and sharpness are all very nice. I can see why you contemplate reducing the sharpness of the mint a bit. It is a bit of an overpowering perch for the fly and reducing the sharpness could help. Not sure if I would have noticed if you hadn't brought it up though.
Btw. I think your ID of the fly is correct. There is a rather similar Helophilus,where the black markings on the tip of the tail are connected. I think that that is not the case in this fly, but I can't see it really clearly in your image.

Jonathan Ashton
09-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Thanks very much Steve & Jerry

Andrew McLachlan
09-06-2016, 07:14 PM
Hi Jonathan...I like it as presented and also think the mint is perfect as is...wonderful detail in the head

Brian Desjardins
09-17-2016, 06:17 AM
Beautiful shot , so sharp, love the comp too.