PDA

View Full Version : Theme After you - Australian Pied Oystercatcher

Matthew Jones
09-01-2016, 02:55 AM

Australian Pied Oystercatcher (Haematopus longirostris)
South coast, NSW Australia

Canon EOS 7D Mark II | Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 II | Boogie board with Jobu gimbal
1/2500 | f/8 | ISO 640 | 400mm

I was happy to capture this display involving a territorial pair driving away an intruder. They are very assertive during the nesting season and don't like other Oystercatchers on "their" stretch of beach. I rear focused on the eye of the left hand bird using single point focus and stayed with it as they marched along the beach. Otherwise basic workflow, cloned out a white spec on the beach and toned down the red bills by -55 points in PSCC (colour balance).

gail bisson
09-01-2016, 04:59 AM
This is a great behavior shot. I have witnessed this a few times with our American Oystercatchers and you have really "captured the moment".
Exposure is perfect.
I would consider lightening the dark bit of vegetation at the RHS of frame and would take a bit more off the bottom(to just above your signature), adding the same amount back on at the top of the frame. I love the green/yellow vegetation.
Very nice,
Gail

Doug Brown
09-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Nice low shooting angle, and great suggestions by Gail. I'd like to see your Boogie Board-mounted gimbal setup. Love the open beaks of both birds, the solid exposure, and the excellent detail.

Rachel Hollander
09-01-2016, 10:26 AM
Hi Matthew - Great low angle achieved from the boogie board. Nice control of the exposure and interesting behavioral image. This works well with good suggestions above.

TFS,
Rachel

Marina Scarr
09-01-2016, 01:17 PM
Wonderful behavior captured here and your low angle makes for an outstanding image. Interesting that the female appears to be doing the chasing.

annmpacheco
09-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Wonderful image, i agree with the suggestion above. Your POV really is a charm!

David Salem
09-01-2016, 11:41 PM
Great exposure control and I love the posturing poses. The low angle and the nice BG make for a real solid frame. Well done

Matthew Jones
09-14-2016, 11:41 PM
Thanks all for comments :bg3: RP along the lines of Gail's suggestions, removed rather than lightened the dark green veg. with content aware tool.