PDA

View Full Version : Green Heron Patrol.

Daniel Cadieux
08-31-2016, 04:28 PM
This young Green Heron was on the lookout for frogs, small fish, or other small prey items. I was fortunate when it came out in the open in front of the best background I could hope for that morning.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/2000s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld while prone on the mudflat, cropped for comp (~75% FF), a few oof flying insects cloned out, toned down the brightest whites on the neck and wing edge.

Tim Foltz
08-31-2016, 07:32 PM
Daniel nice shot, great pose, nice and low, I would crop some of the top and bottom off and make it more of a pano shot if it were mine.

-Tim

Jake Levin
08-31-2016, 09:00 PM
Nice shot! I like the raised foot. Did you get this and your recent duck and shorebird shots near Ottawa? If there's this much good action right now I want to be there, too!

Matthew Jones
09-01-2016, 03:05 AM
Very nice Dan, like you say killer background and I like the RHS habitat. I don't mind the crop as is but I can see where Tim is coming from as I can see a version without the dark green centre top. Super cool!

gail bisson
09-01-2016, 05:06 AM
This is all about the gorgeous light!
Love the color palette, the walking pose and the grasses on the right.
I would love a bit more canvas on the right or a small crop from the bottom to just above your signature,
Gail

Doug Brown
09-01-2016, 09:26 AM
Like the sweet light, hunting pose, and great habitat. Would only like to see a slight head turn towards you, and perhaps a bit of lightening of the dark spot at the far left of the frame.

Rachel Hollander
09-01-2016, 10:40 AM
Hi Daniel - great low pov and walking pose in beautiful light. I too like the color palette. Good suggestions above.

TFS,
Rachel

Jonathan Ashton
09-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Dan this just jumps at me I saw the thumbnail and was instantly hooked. I wouldn't change anything regarding composition. I really like everything. I must admit I looked at couple of times at the bright areas, I wonder if they would be better rendered using two raw conversions and blending as opposed to burning???
Anyway congratulations this is exceptional in my view.

annmpacheco
09-01-2016, 02:15 PM
super nice Daniel, the light is killer! I also like how you composed this with the plant to balance at the right. BG is tops...

William Dickson
09-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Great comp Dan and what a pose. You can feel the determination on the bird as it looks for prey. Killer BG.

Nice one

Will

Bill Dix
09-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Wonderful. Light, pose, setting, background, POV all superb.

Geoffrey Montagu
09-02-2016, 08:04 PM
Great image, Daniel. Love the mid stride capture, and what a wonderful brushed BG.

Geoffrey

Eric Dienesch
09-04-2016, 03:45 AM
Hello,

for me this is an very nice picture and you have done everything right in my eyes.
i like it, when you can see the environment, especially from birds like these herons.