Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/500
Av(Aperture Value) 11
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 800
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM

This little guy was on water mint by my garden pond, I am not sure if this is a wasp or a wasp mimic, anyhow as far as bumble bees were concerned there was no argument he made a lunge toward them and they buzzed off!
I suppose the mouth parts would indicate the ID?

Jerry van Dijk
08-30-2016, 01:46 PM
Interesting bug! This is a species I've never seen before. It belongs in the Hymenoptera, where the wasps are. It's not a hoverfly wasp mimic, you can tell because this fellow has mandibles, long segmented antennae and four wings instead of two.

Jonathan Ashton
08-30-2016, 04:56 PM
Interesting bug! This is a species I've never seen before. It belongs in the Hymenoptera, where the wasps are. It's not a hoverfly wasp mimic, you can tell because this fellow has mandibles, long segmented antennae and four wings instead of two.
Thanks very much Jerry, now I know it is a wasp I have been searching on the internet but I am no closer to making an ID - I believe I can send an image to Flickr and they can ID it for me - I will look into this.

Steve Maxson
08-30-2016, 07:42 PM
Hi Jon. I agree with Jerry - definitely Hymenoptera. I can't tell for sure from this viewing angle, but if it doesn't have the typical narrow "wasp waist" between the thorax and abdomen it could be a type of sawfly. Otherwise, I'm guessing a solitary wasp in the beewolf, weevil wasp, sand wasp groups. Good luck on your ID quest!

Nice light and background and good sharpness within your DOF!

Jerry van Dijk
08-31-2016, 03:03 PM
Something in the beewolf group would fit. They are generally more yellow than black. I checked all the Dutch species of regular wasps, but they are all more black than yellow. That would also explain why the others made a run for it :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
09-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Steve Jerry I have had a reply and the ID that has been given is:- Sawfly - Tenthredo arcuata

Steve Maxson
09-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Great! Glad to hear you had success with the ID!:S3:

Brian Desjardins
09-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Hi Jonathan, Love this shot , the detail, the sharpness of both subjects, I'm also amazing this is a"fly". Amazing !!!

Jonathan Ashton
09-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Brian it in fact a type of wasp despite the common name.

Brian Desjardins
09-21-2016, 01:48 PM
Jonathan, Oh thanks for the info.