PDA

View Full Version : Hippo @ Selous

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-28-2016, 11:30 PM
Hi all,
We stayed at the Azura Selous camp where the tents were right along the river. There were hundreds of hippos and many crocs in the river that allowed some nice head shots.
1/800
f/7.1
ISO 400
5D III
700mm

haseeb badar
08-29-2016, 06:15 AM
Hi Sanjeev -- Nice view of the Hippo with all that water gushing inside its big mouth. I would have opted for a tighter crop . The details and sharpness is much better on its snout as compared to its eye and area behind the snout , also a sense of movement is evident on that part , a higher ss would have been a better option .

TFS !

Morkel Erasmus
08-29-2016, 05:33 PM
Good critique by Haseeb here.
I don't mind the motion that is evident in the water, but it does look like focus was a tad shallow.
It could work with a bit less space on LHS and more on RHS if you have it?

Basil Dardagan
08-31-2016, 08:41 AM
The focus is sharper on the snout however I still think the overall image is a good result from a fairly run of the mill oppurtunity

Steve Kaluski
08-31-2016, 11:13 AM
Hi Sanjeev, again ISO say 3200 and DoF around f/11+, SS 1/2500. You want to freeze the frame, but have the focus on the eye, at present it's the mouth with the eye getting very slightly soft as it's angled away from you.

The image looks a bit cool, tweaking slightly the WB & saturation, a bit of a Luminosity masking and again tweaking the Blacks & Whites in Curves, and then a fraction more USM, I think you can get a bit more depth and contrast from the image.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
09-01-2016, 08:22 AM
Hi Sanjeev - good discussion above. Curious as to what time of day this was taken? I am guessing that since the camp was on the river, it might have been more in the middle of the day. I do think you needed a bit more dof.

TFS,
Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
09-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Lovely IQ and vice detail captured all around. I think the colour may be somewhere between yours and Steve's. Also maybe the crop I would move the hippo more forward and add some more of the back behind. Minor things tweaked but of course its for my taste.