PDA

View Full Version : Scorched landscape: Mormon Rocks

Hazel Grant
08-28-2016, 06:24 PM
Just after the recent fires in California. Scorched land at Mormon Rocks near Wrightwood, CA, so named because this canyon was a path the early settlers took. So sad to see yet there is beauty in ashes.

Don Railton
08-29-2016, 11:18 PM
hi Hazel

Its an interesting study in the damage a fire can do, but as a landscape image the composition is not quite working for me. Sorry about that. I would have included all or more likely none of the tree lower rH corner. I find its branches are competing for my eye and then pulling my eye out of frame. Lighting is difficult also.. We suffer severe bushfires here in Australia also and the most amazing thing to me is how quick nature is able to recover from fires like this. A lot of trees you think have died are shooting away a few months later..

DON

DON

Andrew McLachlan
08-31-2016, 08:42 PM
Hi Hazel, nature can be brutal at times, but as Don said it can also rebound very quickly. I find this composition to be too busy in the foreground with lots of distractions...it needs an element to grab our attention and pull us into the scene...I like the grouping of cactus towards the left...perhaps a wide angle lens in close on them would improve the comp and draws us into the damage of the fire.

Hazel Grant
09-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Andrew, I can see what you mean. I guess was looking at it as the foreground elements and the chaos of that as being the devastating attraction. I saw the rocks and hills to the left as giving some depth. Guess we all look at things differently.