PDA

View Full Version : Crab Spider and Yellowjacket

Steve Maxson
08-27-2016, 12:05 PM
A Crab Spider feeding on a Yellowjacket wasp it has captured. I am continually impressed at how these spiders can capture and quickly subdue large and potentially dangerous prey like this. These spiders can change from yellow to white depending on the flowers they are hiding on. 1DX Mark 2, 100 mm macro, 1/200, f/16, ISO 160, Venus Optics Macro Twin Lite KX-800 (diffused), hand held, AF. The background is an OOF print of vegetation. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Jonathan Ashton
08-28-2016, 04:39 AM
Excellent plane of focus and DOF, colours look spot on. The background is fine but very uniform, the more I think about it I think it might be a good idea to do similar but have one with a little more albeit muted structure.
Steve I don't know if you use Nik filters, if so I would suggest a little of Artie's recipe Tonal Contrast/Detail Extractor on the spider and wasp. WDYT?

Steve Maxson
08-29-2016, 11:16 AM
Thanks Jon. I agree about the background - I went out and shot some additional background shots today. :S3: In the repost, I also tried some NIK Detail Extractor and Tonal Contrast on the spider and wasp - better?

Jonathan Ashton
08-29-2016, 04:24 PM
Steve - yes I think there is a little more detail rendered - better from my POV.

Jerry van Dijk
08-31-2016, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure why, but I prefer the OP. Possibly because the crab spider blends in nicer with the flowers, as is their trick. I'm amazed they are able to catch such big prey!

Andrew McLachlan
09-06-2016, 07:07 PM
Beautiful capture Steve with wonderful details...and great idea to use the out of focus print for a clean background!!!