PDA

View Full Version : Experiment

Philip Pietri
06-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Recently, one of the moderators encouraged me to contribute something to Out of the Box. Since I didn't have any new photo's to post I did some digging.

This image was captured on one of my very first 'outings' with a camera in pursuit of avian subjects. I love the picture but I've learned a lot of general rules of thumb since...especially regarding exposure. So I decided I could use this photo, which had a lot of obvious flaws, and turn it into a creative little gem in our Out of the Box forum.

Grainy Faded Effect
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b220/hermanate1983/Godwits.jpg

In PS I copied the photo onto 2 additional layers.

On my top layer I applied a high pass at 4 pix. I reduced the opacity to 75% and merged it with layer two.

Now I have just the background layer and my high pass'd layer...which I will now adjust the levels on. Make it bright and contrasty.

Go into channels and copy your blue channel. Go into levels and make it really DARK and contrasy. Click back on your color (rgb or whatever) channel.

Go into your layers and take your second layer you've been working with and go to apply image. In apply image make sure you don't have the background layer selected. Apply Image on your BLUE channel in Hard Light blending mode. It will look weird but reduce the opacity on that layer until you are satisfied.

Now make that layer invisible and use your color sampler somewhere on your photo (I used the reddish brown color of the godwits). Make a new layer on top and fill it with that color. In blending mode go to color. Now make this layer invisible.

Turn on your second layer that you made invisible and add some noise (monochromatic). I added a lot.

Now turn on your top (color) layer that you made invisible and reduce the opacity until you're satisfied.

Voila!
I kinda suck at explaining things so sorry if this is way confusing.

Fabs Forns
06-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi Phillip, thanks for the detailed explanation of your technique. It always helps to have all the steps if you remember :)

Great action, accentuated by the added grain. Hope this is not an isolated event and we can have you here again!

Julie Kenward
06-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Very nice! I'm always amazed when someone ADDS grain and it makes the image better!