PDA

View Full Version : The Land of the Lonely Tree Sunset

Morkel Erasmus
08-21-2016, 06:11 PM
This is a vertorama (vertical panorama) captured last year in the Mara Triangle.
I just returned from this year's safari, but working through the photos has not begun in earnest.

Just love the dynamic range of the Nikon South Africa D800 - these are handheld shots, single exposures, taken from a Land Cruiser.

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 @ 24mm
f5.6 | 1/80 SS | ISO-1100

Don Railton
08-21-2016, 11:35 PM
Hi Morkel,

Very dynamic sky, although I might have framed it so there was only one tree if thet were possible. I would also not have the bright patch in the sky quite so bright as i feel it draws the eye a bit. I see an alternative crop with about an inch of the top and bottom of the image. Are you saying there are different D800's for different regions?? Pretty Well done though for a handheld from a vehicle..

Don

Morkel Erasmus
08-23-2016, 01:51 AM
Hi Morkel,

Very dynamic sky, although I might have framed it so there was only one tree if thet were possible. I would also not have the bright patch in the sky quite so bright as i feel it draws the eye a bit. I see an alternative crop with about an inch of the top and bottom of the image. Are you saying there are different D800's for different regions?? Pretty Well done though for a handheld from a vehicle..

Don

Tnx Don, will explore that crop.
I was referring to the dynamic range of the D800 sensor, the amount of detail and contrasting luminosity it can capture dark to light in a single shot without having to bracket exposures...

Adhika Lie
08-23-2016, 07:33 PM
This reminds me of another image I saw somewhere else with a single tree in monochrome rendition. The drama in the sky is so good, Morkel and I actually like the crop here. Very balanced for my taste.

Morkel Erasmus
08-23-2016, 10:39 PM
This reminds me of another image I saw somewhere else with a single tree in monochrome rendition. The drama in the sky is so good, Morkel and I actually like the crop here. Very balanced for my taste.

thanks Adhika
the tree on the left in the BG is the same tree as in my previous mono shot :)

Don Lacy
08-26-2016, 08:45 PM
Very nicely done Morkel, the square crop works well with this comp and you always do a good job processing these images without getting that washed out shadow tones most people end up with when they pull the shadows in post.

Luis Patacao
08-30-2016, 08:14 AM
Very interesting image Morkel. I partially agree with Don regarding the crop from the bottom and from he top. As for the composition i like both trees rendered in different sizes!

Bill Dix
08-31-2016, 03:00 PM
Terrific dynamic range indeed. I rather like the second tree, and like the crop as presented in the OP.

Andrew McLachlan
08-31-2016, 08:32 PM
Very nice as presented Morkel and ditto on the D800...I do not nee to reach for my grad filters as often as I used too :)