PDA

View Full Version : Northern Water Snake Wide Angle Macro

Andrew McLachlan
08-18-2016, 08:13 PM
While out searching for Bullfrogs one day several weeks ago I came upon a very co-operative Northern Water Snake basking on a log within the wetland habitat. To create this wide angle macro scene I used my newly purchased Laowa 15mm f4 1:1 Macro Lens...although the lens requires 100% manual operation I do love the perspective. Best of all the lens can focus down to 4.7mm from the front element!

Nikon D800
Laowa 15mm f4 1:1 Macro Lens
ISO 800
f16 @ 1/160 sec
Singh-Ray Thin Mount Warm-Tone Polarizing Filter

Looking forward to comments

Jonathan Ashton
08-19-2016, 06:32 AM
Wow very impressive! I really like to see such good detail in the subject and the surroundings. I never knew there were macro lenses of such a short focal length, you have really made good use of it here. I like the composition and the exposure, my only thought is that the log is very dominant, maybe cutting a slice off the base improves a little -WDYT?
I would love to see some more images taken with this lens, it is opening up a whole new area of photography to me.

Bob Miller
08-21-2016, 05:16 PM
Andy...I am also very impressed with the perspective created by this lens. I plan to google it as soon as I finish here. You might consider taking some off the bottom ...bringing the snake head a bit closer and exaggerating the perspective even more.????? Show me more!

Steve Maxson
08-22-2016, 07:51 PM
Hi Andrew - I must say, you certainly are able to find the cooperative subjects! - considering how close you need to be using a 15 mm lens. Excellent sharpness within your DOF - and a good view of the surrounding environment. The comp works for me as presented. Very well done!

MiroslavMaric
08-23-2016, 01:26 PM
Impressive perspective, like the frame. Well done. TFS!

Andrew McLachlan
08-31-2016, 08:26 PM
Thanks so much folks, much appreciated...I will share an additional snake image shortly that has less of the log in the foreground.