PDA

View Full Version : Georgian Bay Sunset

Andrew McLachlan
08-18-2016, 07:52 PM
Tomorrow I head north again for another week up in the Parry Sound region of Ontario and am planning a hike along the Georgian Bay Rugged Hiking Trail. This is a 5 km trail that explores the granite shoreline of Georgian Bay that is full of photo opportunities at every turn. Here is a sunset scene I captured a couple of weeks ago when I was there last.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 35mm
ISO 100
f16 @ 2.5 sec
Singh-Ray 3-Stop Reverse Graduated Neutral Density Filter

Looking forward to comments

Don Railton
08-18-2016, 11:29 PM
Hi Andrew..

Its a nice scene, you are a lucky man with county like this. I think the rocks look a little crunchy (slightly over sharp..) and i would have composed so the leading line formed at the edge of the rocks and water was continious to the distant waters edge. ie, either a wider lens or sacrificed some of the lovely FG rocks and taken a step forward and turned to the right a little. my 2 cents..

DON

Morkel Erasmus
08-20-2016, 04:52 PM
Nice scene here Andrew.
I do think you raised midtone levels a bit too much, it's got an early-day HDR look to it in my view?
I would be tempted to induce more of a blue hue to the water (which is a tad grey) and reduce the blues in the rocks...

Chuck Nolan
08-21-2016, 11:53 PM
Lovely long exposure and a well considered composition!

Adhika Lie
08-23-2016, 07:35 PM
Beautiful color, Andrew.. and it's very serene. I hope you explored some macro shot here because the details on the rock are so beautiful!

Don Lacy
08-26-2016, 08:49 PM
I really like the composition here Andrew but like Morkel I htink the mids are to bright along with the whole shoreline thye are brighter then the sky so look unnatural

Andrew McLachlan
08-31-2016, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions folks...will work on tweaking the image :)